In the Light: Molly Diamondstein

Molly+Diamondstein

Molly Diamondstein

Molly Diamondstein had never heard of Colgate during her high school years in Allentown, Pennsylvania. When a friend toured here, she called Diamondstein immediately after, knowing that it was a perfect fit for her.

“My parents and I drove up a few weeks later and the moment I stepped on campus I knew it was the school for me. After applying [early decision], I remember going home every night to check the statistics for people getting in,” Diamondstein said.

Diamondstein is a Political Science major and Women’s Studies minor, but her minor came as more of a surprise.

“I enjoyed the classes I took my first year and decided to register for a class with Professor Hayes sophomore year. This class and this professor changed my direction in the major and encouraged me to focus on American politics. After taking Intro to Women’s Studies with Professor Loe, I have become fully engrossed in learning more about the movement. Taking these classes has been challenging and has taught me more about what I stand for than anything else at Colgate,” Diamondstein said. 

Diamondstein went on Colgate’s Washington, D.C. study group in the spring of her junior year. While in D.C., Diamondstein interned full-time at the Supreme Court, where she got to meet most of the justices, sit in on important cases and even talk at length with Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

On campus, Diamondstein is the president of Hillel, the Social Media Chair of the newly formed American Sign Language Club and a member of Greek life.

Following graduation, Diamondstein plans to work for a few years before attending law school. When asked what she will miss most about Colgate, Diamondstein highlighted the many friendships she has formed here.

“My friends have taught me that it is perfectly alright to disagree over issues on this campus and in the broader context, but that the most important thing is being willing to listen,” Diamondstein said.

Furthermore, Diamondstein encourages underclassman to be open-minded about the people they are friends with and the activities they are involved in on campus. 

“I would advise underclassmen to not feel constrained to one friend group, or to one club or to one activity. These four years are about exploring new territory and discovering who you are,” Diamondstein said.

Contact Tessa Ruff at [email protected]