Men’s and Women’s Track & Field Review

Regine Cooper had one of the best finishes of her sophomore season at the Delaware Classic.

The Colgate men’s and women’s track and field teams both had successful weekends finishing first and third at the Delaware Classic. Despite having a quick turnaround from the Larry Ellis Invitational in Princeton, New Jersey to then travel all the way to Newark, Delaware, the Raiders came out looking fresh and ready to compete.

The female first-years placed high in the women’s 400-meter dash. Lauren Henske finished ninth out of 20 with a time of 59.83, while Carly Schwartz finished twelfth with a time of 1:02.01. In addition, in the women’s 800-meter dash Emma Palmer placed eighth out of 17 with a time of 2:20.23. Sophomore Marina Reilly won the long jump with her second best jump this season of 5.30m and placed second in the triple jump with a jump of 11.14m. Regine Cooper also had one of the best finishes of her sophomore season, placing second in the shot put with a throw of 11.86m, which marked her second best throw of the season.  She also placed fifth in the hammer throw with her second best throw of the season, 40.16m.

Senior captains Becca Easly and Anna Orientale both had eventful weekends as well. Easly made her debut in the 3k steeplechase with a fifth place finish and time of 12:29.67, placing her ninth on the record board. Orientale raced the 800m and placed sixth with a time of 2:18.33, while Palmer also raced in the 800 placing with 2:20.23. The women only recorded a great deal of personal records, while also finishing consistently in the top rankings of each event.

The men performed in a similar fashion, dominating in each event. Colgate had a pair of dynamic finishes in the 800-meter race, with first-year Colin Loughlin finishing first with 1:56.80 and sophomore Jonny Abbott not far behind with a personal record of 1:57.89.  First-year Oliver Moe had one of his most triumphant meets of the season, winning both the 200m and 400m in 22.79 and 49.48, respectively.

Junior Pat Needham recorded personal bests in three events, throwing 12.33m in shot put, 36.65m in discus and 39.74m in the hammer throw. Junior Nick Hamilton nabbed a first-place win in the javelin throw, setting a personal record of 46.22 meters. Senior Daniel Mosko set a school record at the Phoenix Invitational hosted by Elon University last week and continued to dominate yet again this weekend, winning the hammer throw with a 51.70-meter throw.

It was a triumphant weekend for the Colgate track and field teams. Senior

captain Anna Orientale was proud of everyone’s performance this past weekend.

“Despite the sub-par weather, many athletes recorded personal bests at the

Delaware Classic. It’s exciting for the future of the program to see so many underclassmen winning events and breaking personal records, week after week. As a team, we are looking forward to posting up some more personal bests at Cornell this weekend,” Orientale said.

The Raiders return next Sunday to compete in the Big Red Invitational at Cornell University, which will be their last competition of the regular season before they move on to the Patriot League Tournament the following weekend.