Broadstreet’s ‘Jazz Cabaret’ Displays Wide Range of Colgate Talent

Colgate students took to the stage on Thursday, using avariety of instruments to display the immense talent on this campus.

There was standing room only at the Palace Theatre last Thursday evening as students gathered in excitement for the highly anticipated Broadstreet Behind the Beat’s “Jazz Cabaret.” The show was directed by seniors Hannah DeGarmo and Casey Lange, and assisted by junior Emma Newmann and sophomore Esteban Dardani. The directors took to the stage to welcome the audience, thanking the various groups that helped to make the show possible.

Sophomores Brandon Biney and Dan Miller kicked off the show with an enthusiastic and personality-filled version of Ray Charles’ “Hallelujah I Love Her So.” The audience cheered for the great vocals and fun dance moves.

Also notable, sophomores Sophie Louaillier and Michael Garfagnoli infused a slow dance and choreography into a Frank Sinatra favorite, “I Get a Kick Out of You.” Members of the audience couldn’t help but smile. Senior Maddie Cuddy had a saxophone solo in the number, highlighting the talent of the band members as well.

The cast did an excellent job of keeping the audience’s attention, alternating between slow and fast songs, as well as newer and older ones. Featuring a wide array of jazz hits, selections ranged from classics like Nina Simone’s “I Put a Spell on You” and Ray Charles’ “Hit the Road Jack” to more contemporary choices like John Mayer’s “Gravity,” and Emily King’s “Down.”

First-year Julia Segal, juniors Sharon Ettinger and Jayde Hull and sophomore Tessa Weal gave a powerful performance of Meg Mac’s 2015 hit “Never Be.” Harmonizing with one another, the performers were clearly having fun on stage.

“This was a great opportunity to show how vocally diverse so many of the singers here are. Jazz is so much fun to sing, and I loved being able to work with this great cast,” Segal said.

Cast members performed solos, duets or group numbers, demonstrating the versatile abilities of each individual vocalist.

Seniors Morgan Littman and Devon Hoffman sang a fun duet of Marilyn Monroe’s classic “Diamonds are a Girl’s Best Friend.” It was a light-hearted, spirited performance, animated through choreographed dance moves and lots of attitude. Their personalities really came through to the audience throughout the number, making it all the more memorable.

The following performance displayed impressive vocals from sophomores Jordan Wright and Hailey Park, singing “City of Stars,” from the movie La La Land. The recognizable, contemporary song featured distinguished harmonies and charming melodies. It was fun to hear such a relevant song performed by students.

Seniors Lauren Moscato, Grace Howard, Claire Schneider and sophomore Zoe Peltz gave an up-tempo performance of Etta James’ 1962 classic “Something’s Got a Hold on Me.” The group worked well together, as each vocalist alternated lines and harmonies with one another. The performance made you want to get up and dance along.

The final song featured a full cast performance of “I’ve Got the World on a String” by Frank Sinatra and Liza Minelli. Upon taking their final bow, the cast gathered on stage, hugging and cheering, which demonstrated their true camaraderie. They then received a standing ovation from the audience.

Sophomore Tess Nogles enjoyed attending the show.

“The cast members chose a really good variety of songs, some of which I had never heard,” Nogles said. “They were really talented and performed them really well.”