Track and Field Recap: Raiders Look Exceptionally Strong this Season

LUCKY NUMBER 13: The Raiders had a record showing at the Pioneer Invitational at Union College this past weekend where thirteen (coincidence?) Colgate athletes set a lucky number of 13 personal records in various athletic competitions.  

Both the men’s and women’s Track and Field teams have started the 2016-2017 season with strong performances. The season began for both teams at the Greg Page Relays, hosted by Cornell December 3. The women’s team had a strong showing in both track and field events, as sophomores Marina Reilly and Regine Cooper set new personal bests in the triple jump and the shot put/weight throw, respectively. The men’s team was also successful, with sophomore Oliver Moe coming in ninth out of 56 runners.  Senior Daniel Mosko also placed tenth in the long jump.

Director of Cross Country and Track and Field Amber Williams was optimistic after the team’s successful first performance of the season.  

“We had four personals bests on the day and others coming very close along with some athletes trying events for the first time and performing well. This meet makes me look forward to the season and seeing what else we have to offer,” Williams said.

The Raiders next traveled to the Towson Tiger Invitational on January 17. It was another great day for both teams.  On the women’s side, Reilly placed seventh in the long jump, setting her new personal best with a distance of 5.47 meters.  First-year Vicky Martinez also had a solid day, finishing tenth in her debut 3000-meter race.  For the men’s team, Moe finished eleventh in the 400-meter race while Freshman Patrick Needham set a personal record in throws. Finally, Senior Bobby Galante and first-year Jonathan Abbott both had great showings in distance races.  Galante finished seventh in the 3000-meter race and Abbott came in eleventh in the mile race.

On January 22, Colgate headed to compete in the Upstate Challenge, hosted by Cornell.  The women’s team placed fifth overall with 28 points, while the men’s team finished seventh with 23 points.  Notable performances on the women’s team included first-year Carly Schwartz and junior Emma Palmer.  Schwartz set a personal record in the 400-meter dash, finishing in eighth place, while Palmer placed fourth in the 800-meter race. For the men’s team, Moe once again led the Raiders, this time placing second in the 500-meter dash.  Colgate’s 4×400 meter relay team, comprised of Moe, senior Austin Perez, sophomore Anthony Castillo and junior Colin Loughlin, also had an impressive showing, coming in fourth place out of 12 teams.

For the Raiders’ most recent event, the teams traveled to Utica College on January 29.  At the meet, Colgate athletes set 13 personal records.  For the women’s team, senior Rebecca Easly set a personal best in the 5000-meter run, and first-year Vicky Martinez finished first in the event.  The Women’s 4×400 relay team of Reilly, Schwartz, Orientale and first-year Tianna Biscone also set a new personal record.  Junior Maggie Cusick also set a personal best in the long jump. Sophomore Regine Cooper also placed in the top three for each of her events, most notably setting her personal record in the weight throw.  Biscone set two personal bests in the long jump and the high jump, and first-year Megan Maloney and sophomore Kira Palmer each set personal records in the pole vault.

On the men’s side, Moe set another personal record in the 500-meter dash to add to the day’s success. Sophomore Jonathan Schuldt set a personal best in the 500-meter race, Galante set a personal record in the 3000-meter run and junior Timothy Englehart set a personal record in the 5000-meter run.  To round off Colgate’s record-breaking day, Mosko set a personal best in the weight throw, Needham did the same at the shot put and junior Nicholas Baglieri did so in the 1000-meter run.

Colgate will look to build upon its incredible performance next weekend on the road at the YSU National Track and Field Invitational held at Youngstown State University in Ohio.