Women’s Ice Hockey Dominates Weekend Competition: Raiders Beat Brown 7-3, Yale 3-1

Sophomore forward Shae Labbe recorded a historic five points during Colgate’s 7-3 victory over the Brown Bears, scoring a hat trick; this win, however, was a complete team effort as offensive opportunities were generated.  

This past weekend proved to be successful for the Colgate women’s hockey team as they traveled to Brown University February 10 and Yale University February 11. The weekend was a sweep for the Raiders, with the team winning 7-3 against the Bears and 3-1 against the Bulldogs. 

To kick off the game against the Bears, the Raiders first got on the board during a power-play from sophomore forward Shae Labbe seven minutes into the period. Brown tied the game with less than seven minutes left, but Colgate responded with two more goals of their own. Sophomore forward Jessie Eldridge and junior forward Megan Sullivan scored in under thirty-four seconds to regain the lead. The Bears narrowed the Raider lead to 3-2, with a goal in the last minute of the period. Labbe was the first to score in the second period, notching her second goal of the game. After another goal by Brown, Colgate junior forward Shelby Perry scored two consecutive goals, moving the score to 6-3 in the end of the second period. In the third period the Raiders tallied their final goal of the game with less than three minutes remaining with a hat trick by Labbe, allowing them to win the game 7-3.

The Colgate women’s ice hockey team traveled to Yale University this past Saturday to play in Ingalls Rink and came away with another win. Despite their attempts, neither team scored in the first period. The Raiders netted the first goal of the game with nine minutes remaining in the second period, off a goal by junior forward Breanne Wilson-Bennett. Yale responded in the last minutes of the period, tying the game at 1-1. Sullivan stole the puck in the second half of the third to score, creating a lead for Colgate. Junior forward Annika Zalewski extended the Raider lead, scoring a goal with a minute left in the game, to end the game, 3-1. 

There were many Raider highlights this weekend to accompany the two wins for the women’s hockey team. Labbe recorded her second hat trick of the season and third of her career and her five points scored in the Brown game are the fifth most scored in a single game by a Raider in program history and fourth most at the Division I level. Perry recorded her first two-goal game in her career and set a career-high of nine goals. 

“It was a really successful weekend in terms of how we played as a team. Friday night’s game we were able to generate a lot of offense. Saturday’s game was more challenging but it was a veteran effort by the team to get the win. It feels like we’re playing our best hockey at the right time of the season as we get closer to playoffs,” Perry said.

After this weekend Colgate was able to improve to 22-7-3 overall and 13-6-1 in ECAC play. The Raiders take to the ice once again on Friday, February 17 when they host Clarkson University at The Class of 1965 Arena at 6 p.m.