A Cappella Group “Kazual” Energizes Donovan’s Pub

Anything but casual: Kazual performed covers along with original songs at Donovan’s Pub.

A cappella is something that Colgate students are very familiar with. Regardless of whether you’re a member or not, a cappella has inevitably been part of your Colgate experience since you arrived on campus. However, even the most experienced among these connoisseurs must admit it’s pretty exciting to interact with a cappella groups from other parts of the country. On Friday, September 23, some Colgate students did just that.

Kazual, a four-member, all-male a cappella group made up of three brothers and a cousin, performed at Donovan’s Pub for a full house. The group, who hails from Atlanta, Georgia was clad in black button downs and bright ties. Their attire and their dance moves, entertained the crowd as they sang everything from Usher to The Backstreet Boys. They also performed some original music, including their recent release “Bounce” and songs from their albums “Back from the Future” and “Mixfit Mindz.”

Colgate’s a cappella group, The Dischords opened for Kazual. Sophomore and member of the Colgate Dischords Hannah Chenok really didn’t have any

expectations going into the performance.

“I wasn’t really familiar with their work, but I knew that they were really fun and they sure were tonight,” Chenok said.

Though many people at Colgate were not familiar with Kazual, this a cappella group isn’t unfamiliar with fame and publicity. They’ve performed for millions of viewers on shows such as “America’s Got Talent” and “Maury.” They’ve even opened for countless big names such as Randy Houser, Nelly and Destiny’s Child.

Even if Colgate students were unfamiliar with Kazual before seeing them at Donovan’s Pub, they were still able to recognize their good performance. First-year Julia Blackwell thoroughly enjoyed what they had to offer.

“Kazual was upbeat and engaging. They had a diverse musical selection that I think represents the Colgate community,” Blackwell said.

At one point during the performance, the group brought up everyone who had a birthday in the month of September and serenaded them (this writer was among them). Kazual has performed at Colgate three times so far, and it is apparent that many students would love to see them back here again soon.