Colgate Receives Over 20,000 Applications for Third Consecutive Year

Graphic: Jesse Harris

Colgate University released its Class of 2028 applications data in January, announcing a third consecutive year of over 20,000 applicants. In the 2023 application cycle, 20,711 prospective students applied by the Regular Decision deadline of Jan. 15, according to the Office of Admission. Since 2019, applications to Colgate have more than doubled. Both Early Decision and first-generation applicants saw increases, going up 26 percent and seven percent respectively.

The Jones and Wood Family Vice President for Admission and Financial Aid, Gary Ross, commented on the rise in Early Decision applications.

“The numbers indicate Colgate’s reputation — as one of the finest undergraduate institutions in the nation and world — is attracting students who seek a rigorous academic experience on a beautiful residential campus,” Ross said.

Ross discussed how Colgate is becoming a more affordable option for first-generation students. 

“Colgate is determined to attract and support talented students, regardless of their socioeconomic background,” Ross said. “That was the driving reason behind the University’s expansion of the Colgate Commitment last year. The Commitment is designed to make a Colgate education affordable for students and families who, previously, may have believed the cost to be out of reach.”

Ross also spoke about how the Colgate application process has changed throughout the years.

“Five years ago, members of the admission and financial aid offices looked closely at the application experience from the lens of a student,” Ross said. “Subsequent policy changes have made Colgate’s application process more accessible for students interested in applying for admission, thanks to a holistic application review process and a test-optional pilot program.”

Seniors Emily Corson and Sofia Gaitan Wolfe, who serve as admission ambassadors for the Office of Admission, expressed excitement over the large number of applications.

I think every year we get more applications, there are more opportunities for the student body to grow and gain new perspectives. Overall it’s just an exciting opportunity,” Corson said.

A [third] year of receiving over 20,000 applications, especially an increase in overall Early Decision applicants, speaks to the ongoing success of initiatives like the Colgate Commitment and Third Century Plan,” Gaitan Wolfe said. “On a personal level, it is exciting to see so many high schoolers excited about touring campus and getting to know our currently snowy Hamilton.”

Sophomore Nhu Dang, who also serves as an admission ambassador, echoed Gaitan’s perspective on fresh faces on campus.

“I think the diversity in Colgate’s student body is really awesome,” Dang said. “I come from a very diverse area and it’s awesome to see that reflected when I’m on campus. […] As a student ambassador, it’s really exciting seeing the faces I toured come here and experience the Colgate I’ve been telling them about!