In the Light: Kegan Thompson

KEGAN+THOMPSON

KEGAN THOMPSON

Student Government Association (SGA) President and senior Kegan Thompson has had the privilege of calling many different places home over the course of his 22 years. Although he was born in Texas, being part of a military family enabled him to live in Alabama, California, Maryland, Belgium and Hawaii.  

A Geology and Political Science concentrator, Thompson openly admits that the Geology flannels were a big draw for him. 

Not only are Thompson’s wide variety of interests reflected in his studies, but also in his work experiences. The summer before his junior year, Thompson worked at a glider airport on the North Shore of Oahu. This past summer he worked on Martin O’Malley’s presidential campaign as part of the finance team. 

He has made friends through a variety of experiences over his time at Colgate, but says his pre-orientation sailing trip was a great opportunity where he met some of his closest friends. 

On campus, Thompson is SGA president and a member of Link Staff, Theta Chi Fraternity, the Men’s Rugby team and hosts a WRCU radio show. He was also Mr. Colgate in 2014.

“It has been humbling to lead First-Year Orientation and have the opportunity to have a positive impact on the lives of new students,” Thompson said.

Thompson values the true sense of community here at Colgate. He identifies Ron Baker, the current custodian for East Hall, as a relationship that stands out to him. 

“He always made an effort to know all the students in his building on a personal level and he has changed the lives of many first-year students for the better,” Thompson said.

If he could offer advice to current first-years, Thompson would tell them to resist conforming, but to also remain open minded. 

“Do not be afraid to be yourself, but also do not be afraid to embrace new perspectives,” Thompson said.

He is nostalgic about leaving Colgate but is looking forward to the next stage in his life. 

“There is a silver lining because I will be joining a group of incredible alumni and have the opportunity to give back to the community that has provided me many great opportunities,” Thompson said.

After graduating, Thompson plans to join the Air Force to become a fighter pilot.

As for the biggest lesson he has learned at Colgate, Thompson keeps it simple.  

“If you want something, you have to work for it. Seize the day,” Thompson said.