In the Light: Chris Noda

Chris+Noda

Chris Noda

Colgate may have a particularly active campus, but sometimes it is hard to find the motivation to work out. Senior Christopher Noda says his favorite thing to do on campus is go for a nice long run. Of course, he is a Division I runner.

“I loved my experience on the cross country and track team. Being a 3–season athlete allowed me to really get to know my teammates, and I spend the most time with these great individuals by far,” Noda said.

Noda, who hails from St. Louis, Missouri, has always loved science and excelled at it in high school. Pursuing a career in medicine, he is a biochemistry concentrator with a minor in Japanese.

“My interest in Japanese comes from my heritage and my connection to my family. I wanted to learn more about where my family identity comes from, and I want to seek opportunities to teach in Japan in the future,” Noda said.

Yet somehow, on top of his diverse studies and his commitments as a student-athlete, Noda has managed to find free time to also be involved in University Church  (UC) and Konosioni Senior Honor Society.

Between biochemistry and Japanese, athletics and UC, he has found himself a place in many communities on campus. This wide range of passions is also evident in his post-graduation plans. Eventually, Noda plans to attend medical school, but is considering taking a gap year to teach English in Japan.

With graduation approaching, he has been reflecting on his time at Colgate.  

“I am going to miss the church. I’ve really grown in that community, and learned a lot about myself. UC has an incredible community that cares on deep levels about every other member. It is a place where all identities are welcomed and included, and the community I have received the most support,” Noda said.

Despite everything he is involved in, Noda wishes he had been more involved with the Center for Outreach, Volunteerism and Education (COVE).

“I wish that I could have been more involved with…helping out nonprofit Clinics. I care about health and the future of medicine,” Noda said.    

With his high level of involvement and diverse interests, it is no surprise that Noda’s advice to underclassmen is to get involved.

“Get involved, and be fearless. Don’t be afraid to be you,” Noda said.