SWANK by Design Reopens in Village After Extensive Remodel

SWANK by Design, a local home decor and lifestyle business, reopened its brick-and-mortar storefront in downtown Hamilton on Saturday, Feb. 25 after extensive remodeling. The grand reopening began at 10 a.m. and ended shortly after 4 p.m., featuring prizes, giveaways and refreshments. 

At the reopening, Erika Perez — who co-owns the store with her husband, Alexis — was busy checking out customers and giving tours of the updated storefront.

“It’s been very busy,” she said. “We had a VIP reception last night which went really well, and then today we had our grand opening, so it’s been fantastic.” 

SWANK by Design offers both interior design consulting and retail shopping. According to Perez, one of their goals in the renovation process was to alter SWANK’s interior aesthetic to be consistent with their consulting projects. 

“We have all new floors, and we painted our ceilings and walls white to be brighter and airier; it’s all more in keeping with our interior design aesthetic,” she said. “We wanted to make sure that our interior design aesthetic and our shop aesthetic were aligned, and they felt a little disconnected before the renovations.”

In addition to its new store design, SWANK now features an expanded candle bar, a men’s gift and grooming section, a larger NOSH Gourmet Food Emporium and a redesigned poster and novelty room. 

“We made the whole entire front room all home decor, and we moved all of the posters and gourmet food into their own spaces,” Perez said. “We added fun hats, camping-themed puzzles, a new collection of socks, a new collection of men’s grooming essentials and generally fun novelty items.”

On Saturday, the store was busy with local residents, students and SWANK’s business partners. 

“We get a lot of Colgate students and Colgate parents,” Perez said. “Since the pandemic happened, students who couldn’t go anywhere have gotten to know the downtown businesses better, so they tell their friends and bring their parents in.” 

Sophomore Maddie Handley attended the reopening to explore the new poster gallery and play with the store dog.

“I love how nice the owners are and I’m always excited to see Fiona, the owners’ dog,” Handley said. “The poster and novelty section is also its own room now — that will definitely be popular with students.”

Two customers at the reopening, Dan and Tricia Hawkes, are partners with SWANK by Design. SWANK contracted their business, Tru-Line Hardwood Flooring, to refloor the shop during renovation.

“All [SWANK’s] stuff is great, we’re just window shopping for now,” Tricia said. “We’ve seen both — [SWANK] before and after the renovations — and it all looks amazing!”

Like many other visitors, the Hawkes came from outside of the Hamilton area for the reopening. They drove down from Marcy, N.Y. — a town outside of Utica. Shoppers on Saturday were invited to a prosecco toast and gourmet snack tasting as part of the celebration.

Perez said that the most popular item with students — and her personal favorite, too — is the bloody mary mix, which can be found in the newly expanded NOSH Gourmet Food Emporium located in the middle section of the store. This renovated section features a sampling of previous fan favorites like flavored honey as well as new items like truffle butter and Coop’s chocolate spreads. The store’s most purchased item, according to Perez, is the drizzle chili honey.

“We kind of created three shops in one: home decor, gourmet food and posters and novelty,” she said. “We’re excited to be back.” 

SWANK’s storefront is located at 2 Broad St. It is open Wednesday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Updates on their new collections can be found on their Instagram (@swankbydesign) and Facebook (@SWANKbydesign).