Colgate University Responds to US Supreme Court Ruling on Race-Conscious College Admissions Practices

In a statement addressed to students, faculty and staff on June 29, Colgate University officials responded to the Supreme Court’s 6-2 decision outlawing race-conscious admissions practices at both Harvard College and the University of North Carolina.

The statement was signed by Colgate University President Brian W. Casey; Lesleigh Cushing, Provost and Dean of Faculty; Renee Madison, Vice President for Equity and Inclusion; and Gary L. Ross, Vice President for Admission and Financial Aid.

Amid the sudden change in admissions policy rules nationwide, the University noted that it will collaborate with legal counsel to move forward regarding its own practices.

“As we carefully review this decision and its implications, and as we look ahead to future admission cycles, we will continue to be dedicated to doing everything possible within the confines of the law to recruit the most talented students from all backgrounds to attend Colgate,” the statement read.

Colgate’s response also emphasized the steps that the University has taken to attract students of various backgrounds, including adopting a “more holistic” approach to application reviews in 2020 and launching the Colgate Commitment in 2021, which provides additional financial aid to lower-income students.

“These steps have enabled Colgate to enroll remarkably talented and diverse classes over the last several years as the number of applications to the University has more than doubled,” the statement read. “We are very proud of these steps. They have served Colgate well, as they support our mission and core academic purpose.”

Additionally, President Brian W. Casey co-signed a separate statement on behalf of the New York Six Liberal Arts Consortium (NY6) — a partnership between six upstate liberal arts institutions, including Colgate.

“The U.S. Supreme Court ruling, banning the use of race, as such, as one among many factors in the evaluation of applicants for admission, contradicts a core value of higher education: creating a living and learning community that reflects diversity of thought, interests, backgrounds, and experiences,” the NY6 statement read. “Our role as leaders and educators is to provide our students with a college experience that prepares them for the world they will enter upon graduation: a diverse, multicultural, global society.”

Colgate’s statement added that, after a systematic review of its admissions policies, the University will inform the campus and community of potential next steps following the ruling.