In the Light: Zoe Zissu

Zoe Zissu

Zoe Zissu

Senior Zoë Zissu has accomplished a lot during her four years at Colgate. Not only is she a double concentrator in History and Economics, but she is also a writing consultant for the Writing & Speaking Center, a member of Delta Delta Delta sorority, a Vice President of Recruitment for the Panhellenic Association and a volunteer for Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA). She has especially found her work at the writing center extremely helpful.

“I like getting to read papers on subjects I’ve never heard of at the Writing and Speaking Center … I’m always learning and I’d like to think that I’ve helped out some other students in the process,” Zissu said. 

Through her involvement in these various activities, Zissu has found it beneficial to strike a balance between a select number of activities.

“It’s important to try to do a few things well, as opposed to trying to do everything and not doing anything well,” Zissu said. 

Last summer, Zissu had the opportunity to intern at Maia Yogurt, a start-up run by Colgate alums. The experience was both gratifying and exciting. Zissu gained valuable insight into the steps needed to transform an idea into a product. 

“In addition to getting to work with a really fun group, I had an enormous amount of freedom to develop projects and execute them from beginning to end. I learned a lot and had a tangible impact on the company while I was there, which was pretty neat.” 

Last spring, Zissu studied

abroad through Colgate’s London History Study Group. She

really appreciated the opportunity to

travel and explore all that London has to offer.

“My favorite part was getting to live in the middle of a huge and diverse city for four months. I loved exploring different neighborhoods, visiting

museums and going on pub crawls!”

Although Zissu’s time at Colgate is coming to an end, she still has many plans for her last semester on campus. 

“As a senior, I’m trying to go to more events, especially to support the initiatives my friends are involved in. It’s important to make time to support your friends and to take a break from your own things once in a while,” Zissu said. 

As for what she will miss at Colgate, Zissu gave a response that we can all sympathize with.

“I’ll miss living on the most beautiful campus in the country in such close

proximity to my friends.”