Colgate Cheerleading Rebrands as Colgate Pom Team

Mary Grygier

This is the first season in which Colgate Cheerleading will have a new name: the Colgate Pom Team. Team member and sophomore Grace Owusu-Amoah described what a Pom Team is, and explained that the team will not be as stunt-focused.

“[The team] is focused more on dance and having synchronicity as a team, and not as much on stunting and tumbling. [The team] is visually appealing through unified movements and formation, placing a huge emphasis on the visual aspect of performances,” Owusu-Amoah said.

This change does seem rather large and sudden. However, the team will have direction, led by Head Coach Taylor King. 

King — while new to this position at Colgate — boasts an impressive resume in a variety of fields. King explained how she received a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Dance Performance from East Carolina University and a Master of Fine Arts in Choreography from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. She also had danced for 29 years. Under King’s experience and talent, the team is ready to take on this new challenge. Team captain Lis Hartke praised Coach King’s choreography. 

“Her choreography is lively, fresh and exciting — not only to watch but also to learn and do,” Hartke said.

Hartke also credits King’s leadership, explaining, “It’s hard work, but our coach, Taylor King, holds us accountable for the way that we represent the Colgate community.” 

Colgate students can expect to see much of the Pom Team this year. The team expects to have an exciting and fun season filled with a variety of events and performances. Owusu-Amoah explained how the Pom Team has opened the door to new opportunities.

“[The team] offers plenty of […] benefits including potential halftime performances,” she said.

There will be countless opportunities this season for the Pom Team to show its talent to Hamilton. Ultimately, however, the most exciting performance for the Pom Team may not come until March 2024.

“Hopefully, the Patriot League Basketball Tournament comes back through Hamilton, because those are some of my favorite moments in Cotterell Court,” Hartke said.

That being said, the Pom Team is more than just any individual event. Rather, it is about an overall culture that they would like to spread to the rest of campus.

“Our main goal is to uplift school spirit through entertaining and engaging choreography and cheers,” Hartke said. “I hope that this season we will be able to see some real school spirit and that more people can make it out to the games.”

This sentiment is directly echoed by Coach King, as she explained her goals for the team. 

“I am looking forward to getting the student body engaged,” King said. “We aim to focus on school spirit while blending some cheer traditions of the past and creating new traditions through dance and fan engagement.”

Rarely ever do we see a new sports team get introduced to campus. The Pom Team bucks this trend. With a desire to display their hard work and commitment as well as unite the school through spirit, Colgate students can look forward to seeing the team all year.