Brief: Professor Nina Moore Appointed to Commission on Judicial Conduct by Governor Hochul

Colgate University

According to a Sept. 14 press release from the New York State Commission on Judicial Conduct, Colgate University Professor of Political Science Nina Moore was appointed as a member for a four-year term ending Mar. 31, 2027.

Moore formerly served on the commission from 2009 to 2013. 

“This is my second time being appointed by the state governor to a four-year term on the Commission,” Moore said. “My original appointment by Governor David Patterson was the culmination of an extensive vetting process conducted largely by the governor’s office, the appointments office, and law enforcement and on the recommendation of one of the bar associations.” 

Moore’s current appointment was by New York State Governor Kathy Hochul. She commented on the appointment process. 

“With the exception of the bar recommendation, the vetting process for Governor Kathy Hochul’s appointment consisted of the same elements [as the 2009 appointment], but was more extensive in that it included review of my contributions and service on the commission from 2009-2013 term, including a dissent that I wrote in a high profile case out of Manhattan.”

Moore began her current term after taking the oath of office on Sept. 7. She explained the duties of the role she is assuming. 

My role as one of the eleven commissioners is to examine the evidence submitted in each complaint, to deliberate the weight of the evidence along with the other commissioners and then cast my vote on the appropriate disposition – whether to remove the judge, publicly censure or admonish them, and issue a private caution, a dismissal or referral of the complaint to another governmental entity, when appropriate,” Moore said. 

Moore also expressed why she believes the commission is an important one. 

“The New York State Commission on Judicial Conduct serves a critical role in promoting public confidence in the state’s court system and in helping to protect the independence and integrity of the judiciary,” Moore said. “Anyone can file a complaint against a judge. Whether the complainant is a prisoner, a wealthy businessman, prominent politician, member of the bar or whomever, every one of the roughly 2,500 annual complaints is taken seriously and reviewed by each member of the commission, individually and collectively. The state’s esteemed jurists as well as the general public are well-served when the rules of conduct that judges must abide by are in full force and effect.”

Moore is excited to be a member on the commission again, utilizing her experience from her first term. 

“My prior service on the Commission was easily the most informative and meaningful public service that I’ve performed,” Moore said. “My startup this time around entails a much shorter learning curve, which means that I am able to devote even more scrutiny to the complaints, investigations and deliberations in each case. I look forward to working with the other commissioners, including the current chair of the commission, Joseph Belluck, who is the lone commissioner remaining from my 2009-2013 term.”