Brief: SOMAC to End Operations, Transfer Coverage to Madison County EMS

Mary Grygier
Editorial Note: The original photo that accompanied this article, featuring the Village of Madison Ambulance agency, has been removed. Madison Ambulance is not involved with the transition between SOMAC and Madison County EMS.

On Sept. 20, the Madison County Board of Supervisors released a joint statement from the Southern Madison County Ambulance Corps, Inc. (SOMAC), Madison County EMS and other community partners that SOMAC will cease EMS operations. 

“The Southern Madison County Ambulance Corps, Inc. (SOMAC) has made the decision to cease EMS operations after 37 years of service to the community,” the statement read.

The exact date that SOMAC will end operations is still to be determined. Once the coverage transfer is final, Madison County EMS will begin servicing the SOMAC district, which includes the towns of Hamilton and Lebanon, encompassing the villages of Hamilton, Earlville and the Hamlet of Hubbardsville in the Southern Madison County area.

Both SOMAC Board of Directors President Morgan Larson and Madison County Emergency Management Director Dan Degear stated that SOMAC and Madison County EMS will work closely together in the following weeks to create a transition plan. 

“Madison County EMS is committed to serving the whole community, including the EMS needs of Community Memorial Hospital and of Colgate University,” the statement read. “Madison County EMS will be working with SOMAC employees and volunteers, Community Memorial Hospital, the Town of Hamilton, Town of Lebanon and Colgate University on a seamless transition.”

The statement recognized the value of the Colgate student volunteer program and held hopes to continue it in some form. 

“This [transition] includes ensuring the continuation of the very valuable Colgate student volunteer program.” 

In an email addressed to the Colgate Community on Sept. 25, Associate Vice President for Emergency Management Joe Hernon released a statement from the University responding to the decision.

“Colgate has been actively engaged in discussions with Madison County Emergency Management and SOMAC to better understand the implications of this transition for our community and to understand the availability of essential emergency response capabilities on our campus,” Hernon’s email read.

Hernon also stressed the continuation of a student volunteer program.

“We are committed to collaborating closely with Madison County EMS, SOMAC and other first responder partners in the coming weeks to assist with this transition and to develop a new partnership with Madison County EMS for student volunteers,” Hernon wrote.

Before the date of the transition is decided, there will be a public forum for questions and concerns. The date of the forum is to be announced soon.

View Comments (1)