13 Eats: Fall Fest Takeout and Tunes

Graphic by Valeria Reyes

Act I – The Gastronomic Prélude 

Dusk settled at 7:30 p.m., the moon theatrically throwing a spotlight upon itself, gleaming rather self-consciously in the annoying cold. The Sanford Field House stood elusive, guarded rather like a Michelin-star restaurant with security. Those at the front were greeted with rejection, sternly redirected to the humble side entrance. An amusing coincidence: this clandestine doorway was the very same for the eagerly anticipated Fall Fest concert featuring Trevor Daniel. Tick tock, only half an hour to go. It was a dance of IDs and abandoned bags; the Fieldhouse had no time for such pedestrian affairs. So, without hesitation, I relinquished my computer and satchel to the great outdoors, hoping the moon might keep an eye on them for me. After all, it was doing little else.

Inside this “Field House” — a term that should be used with the utmost levity — the grandiosity continued unabated. Touted as Colgate University’s pièce de résistance, it plays host to marvels such as the Maroon Council lounge. And, lest we forget, tucked away are the prestigious burrows of the track, cross country, softball, golf and tennis coaches. Among the vastness, one finds tennis courts, softball batting cages and a spacious area allowing — God forbid — multiple practices at once. All of this is bordered by a six-lane, 200-meter Plexitrac track. Perhaps they should’ve called it “Colgate’s Sporting Palace” instead? Just a thought.

Act II – Unexpected Entertainment from Culinary Shadows

In a harmonious interweaving of culinary exploration and melodic interlude, the students of Colgate University found themselves in a dance of anticipatory delight. The golden tickets handed out by members of the Student Government Association (SGA) served as keys to unlock the plethora of gastronomic wonders from various historic Hamilton establishments including Oliveri’s Pizzeria, Hamilton Eatery, Clinton Cider Mill, Maxwell’s Chocolate’s and Ray Brothers BBQ. Orchestrating this grand culinary ensemble were the distinguished representatives of the SGA, executing their roles with seamless finesse behind the culinary curtains.

The correspondent was graciously invited to join a congenial gathering of sophomore connoisseurs upon the ubiquitous green canvas, a tasteful nod to the enduring athletic theme permeating the evening. Without warning, our genteel soirée was bathed in an unexpected illumination as Trevor Daniel made his appearance on the modest stage, serenading seemingly invisible spectators. Bewilderment pervaded, leaving us questioning the tangibility of our experiences; was this a prelude of unscripted melodies? It seemed as if Daniel’s early entrance marked the commencement of a sophisticatedly orchestrated symphony of intentional disarray.

Upon exiting the Field House, intersections with the later arrivals to Daniel’s unannounced musical interlude occurred. It was a moment of revelation — his sonnets were a methodically orchestrated ballet of selective admittance, maintaining a façade of orchestrated chaos. The revelations didn’t stop here; Trevor Daniel seemed to be the invisible accompaniment to our gastronomic journey! The music video for Daniel’s most popular song, “Falling” — wherein a modest dining establishment, reflective of our beloved Hamilton establishments, plays the central character — feels all too reminiscent of Colgate’s Fall Fest. Perhaps Daniel had Hamilton in mind.

Act III – La Volonté du Peuple

Senior Joudenie Germain, the mastermind behind the illustrious Taste of Hamilton event, provided an eloquent recount of the meticulous planning and culinary expertise embedded in manifesting Hamilton’s diverse flavors. Germain’s discerning taste resonated with the exquisite vodka rigatoni and meatballs from Oliveri’s, a culinary masterpiece she yearns to recreate.

I definitely enjoyed the Vodka Rigatoni and Meatballs from Oliveri’s,” Germain said. “If I could learn that recipe, I would!”

The event, marked by Trevor Daniel’s enchanting tunes and reciprocal adoration from the audience, stood as a testament to Germain’s meticulous orchestration. This autumnal extravaganza received waves of gratitude and appreciation from the student body, reflecting the impeccable execution by Germain and the SAA. Observing the delightful engagement and emptied food trays, Germain experienced profound fulfillment, leaving a legacy of unparalleled culinary experiences and communal joy in this year’s celebration of the Fall Fest.

“As soon as Taste of Hamilton started at 7:30, I looked at the entrance and saw a long line of students waiting eagerly to be let in,” Germain said. “Once they ate their food and decorated their pumpkins, students stayed for the duration of the concert. Overall, it was a great turnout and a majority of the food [was] finished, which is always a plus!”

Lily O’Connor, a first year, attended this harmonious assembly with a coterie of companions.

She described the absolute spectacle witnessing “Falling” — a composition that reverberated through the summer airwaves, achieving its zenith of acclaim at the transformation brought along by fall, becoming enshrined into the eternal cavern of gastronomic sublime here at our very own Colgate. She emphasized that the intimacy with the stage was an interactive sonnet, adding to the banquet’s illustrious charm. Alas, the culinary waltz had been eaten away before her arrival, leaving behind whispers of the reputedly tasty Ray Brothers BBQ. Her comrades, meanwhile, flaunted their autumnal creations in pride — pumpkins adorned with intricate beauty, a visual symphony of the season’s elegance.

I got there too late for the food but I saw they [had] Ray’s BBQ which is apparently amazing,” O’Connor said. “Also some of my friends showed me their pumpkins and they decorated them really beautifully.”

Junior Elsa O’Brien, the distinguished President of the Student Activities Association (SAA) and the orchestrator of the Trevor Daniel concert alongside collaborator Germain, shared a vivid depiction of the hustle enveloping the SAA as preparations were underway. With the clock ticking, the team managed a brief respite, able to grab a taste of their culinary symphony. Similar to Germain, O’Brien underscored Oliveri’s vodka rigatoni as securing a singular affection in her culinary preferences.

Everyone on SAA was running around trying to get everything set up in time, but we miraculously found a few minutes to sit down and serve ourselves right before everyone else came,” O’Brien said. “The food was so, so, so good; it’s hard to decide. But something about Oliveri’s vodka rigatoni has a special place in my heart.”

Beyond the stage, Trevor Daniel, imbued with genuine kindness, extended warmth to the SAA and the diligent crew, enhancing the overall ambiance with his interactive and congenial demeanor. For this, Daniel affirmed the event’s triumphant success in blending flavorful delights with heartfelt performances.