Quack’s Village Inn Closes After 76 Years of Business in Madison, NY

Mehek Singh
DUCKING OUT: After 76 years of business, Quack’s Village Inn ceased operations this month after selling its Madison property.

Quack’s Village Inn — a diner frequented by Colgate University students in Madison, N.Y. — closed on Sunday, Sept. 24 after 76 years of serving the community. The diner was started by Glen and Eleanor Quackenbush in 1947 and was originally located in Bouckville, N.Y. In 1952, the Quackenbush family purchased the Madison location. Joan Oliver became the owner in 1973 and owned the business for 50 years before selling the property to its future owners.

When we arrived, we decided to keep the diner vibe and serve breakfast, lunch and dinner — good food at reasonable prices,” Oliver said. “Over the years, we have added banquet service, catering and dabbled with a bakery and ice cream stand. Our customers come from all walks of life and we count many of them as friends who will be missed.”

Oliver had listed the Quack’s property in Madison for sale even before the COVID-19 pandemic, citing her retirement as the primary reason behind the decision.

“Quack’s has been for sale since the end of 2019,” Oliver said. “[COVID-19] certainly impacted the commercial real estate market in our area as well as in the whole country. We now have a viable buyer, and I am 83 years old, and I am ready to work on the to-do list I have been compiling for the last 50 years.”

Given its proximity to Colgate and popularity among students, many are saddened by the sudden closure, including junior Callie Smith, who frequently went to Quack’s.

“I love Quack’s so much,” Smith said. “I am super saddened to see it closing given its long history in Madison.”

Junior Margot Hayes also frequented the diner and is unsure of what the new owners will do with the space, noting its unique atmosphere.

“It’s really heartbreaking,” Hayes said. “I’m not sure what to expect with the new owners, but I hope the decor stays the same.”

Quack’s has been a significant part of both the Colgate community and the surrounding towns. Oliver appreciated the ways they have been able to serve the community over the years.

“Quack’s has been a local hangout for all of its existence. People meet friends here, make new friends here and join old friends,” Oliver said. “Quack’s has participated in the milestones of many of the local families: weddings, baptisms, bridal showers, birthdays, anniversaries, sports teams and college groups — just about any kind of event you can think of. Our staff is made up of dedicated, hard-working people from the area including four generations of the same family. It has been an amazing experience.”

The transfer of real estate to the new owners is expected to take place sometime in October 2023. Although students have expressed their wishes for the location to remain a similarly-themed diner, the eventual status of the current property is unknown to Oliver.

“The future belongs to the new owners and I wish them luck,” Oliver said. “As for myself, I think I can reinvent myself one more time and the future will not be boring. I look forward to making progress on my to-do list as well.”

View Comments (2)