In the Light: Alain Cruz

In the Light: Alain Cruz

Walking around the activities fair, most first-years were overwhelmed. There are so many interesting options here at Colgate and just not enough time to do all of them. Senior Alain Cruz, however, must have borrowed Hermione Granger’s time turner because he has managed to participate in a wide range of extracurriculars on top of his impressive and diverse academic pursuits. 

Cruz came into Colgate knowing he wanted to go into the health sciences. Unlike many, Cruz actually enjoyed his chemistry classes, and therefore he decided to pursue a concentration in biochemistry. He sees his minor, art history, as more of a developing interest, as it is a way to spend as much time in the studio as possible. 

On campus, Cruz is a member of Konosioni, a member of the Link Staff, a student illustrator and tour guide for the Office of Admissions, a student trainer for the women’s varsity volleyball team and the captain of the club

volleyball team. 

Last summer, Cruz spent seven weeks in Johannesburg and Cape Town, South Africa on a Center for Outreach, Volunteerism and Education (COVE) trip with Professor Ryan Solomon. The trip focused on providing students with hands-on civic engagement experience. 

“It is difficult to describe my experience for so much can be said about it, but it most definitely changed my life,” Cruz said. 

When asked if he has any advice for underclassmen, Cruz shared a poem by Nayyirah Waheed: 

“Do not choose the lesser life. do you hear me. do you hear me. choose the life that is. yours. the life that is seducing your lungs. that is dripping down your chin.” 

Currently in the process of applying to medical school, Cruz is simultaneously excited and nervous about life post-graduation this spring. However, leaving Colgate will not be easy for him. 

“I have been focusing on spending time with the people who really matter to me on campus, and I believe not being in close vicinity to those amazing people is what I’ll miss most,” Cruz said. Fortunately, it is lucky that friendships here at Colgate extend much beyond four short years.