Historic Colgate Day Brings University Community Together Amid International Tension

Mark DiOrio / Colgate University

Colgate University commemorated Colgate Day — a traditional celebration of the University held on Friday the thirteenth — on Friday, Oct. 13, marking the first Colgate Day in the academic calendar since November 2020, which was interrupted by COVID-19 pandemic restrictions.

This past Colgate Day also occurred on Homecoming Weekend and coincided with the Colgate Alumni Council’s first meeting of the year. Colgate University President Brian W. Casey commented on this triple alignment.

“I think that was really just serendipity,” Casey said.

Since the weekend prior, however, the campus community was also reckoning with deadly attacks in Gaza and rising global tensions surrounding the Israel-Palestine conflict. On Friday morning, Casey took to X, formerly known as Twitter, to set a more somber and reflective tone prior to what would be the University’s traditional day of celebration.

“Normally by now I would have sent out on social media a picture of me, or my dog, wearing a Colgate scarf, or hat,” Casey wrote. “But the world seems like a very frightening and dangerous place right now, and such a message doesn’t seem right.”

He went on to share that he conferred with Colgate’s Provost and Dean of the Faculty, Lesleigh Cushing, in order to identify a more fitting Colgate Day message.

“On this day, I hope you do all you can to reach out to those you love, and that you bring to your corner of the world empathy, care, and understanding,” Casey wrote. “And if your time at Colgate contributes to that effort, then something good will happen on this Colgate Day. Truly.”

Casey later added to his thoughts about Colgate Day in conjunction with the tragedies in the Middle East. 

“I’m glad Homecoming is connected to Colgate Day, but I also recognize we’re in a period in the nation’s history where it feels like a more somber, frightening time than a joyful time, and it’s odd to put those together,” Casey said. “I can’t resolve those two sets of emotions.” 

Junior Kaitlin Maratea expressed how this Colgate Day, because of the recent developments in the Middle East, showed her the power of the Colgate community. 

“Seeing the Colgate community come together despite the Palestine-Israel conflict made me realize that the community here will always be there for one another to lean on each other and provide support in whatever way they can,” Maratea said. 

Maratea felt this way after attending the Colgate Day Carnival, which the University hosted to celebrate Colgate Day and kick off Homecoming weekend festivities. 

“I absolutely loved the Colgate Day Carnival. I enjoyed spending time with my friends and eating a delicious margarita pizza from one of the many food trucks that were brought to campus. […] Of course, I made sure to wear Colgate gear in honor of the holiday,” Maratea said. “Colgate Day is a special tradition that is not only unique to this institution but allows the entire community to come together and celebrate how much we love Colgate. I was so excited to partake in the different events, especially since it was my first Colgate Day.”

Senior Kasey Wilner also attended the carnival and appreciated the event. 

“The Colgate Day Carnival was an absolute blast. Between the free food trucks and t-shirts, it was hard to pick a favorite part of the carnival, but I think the blow-up activities stole the show. They had everything from carnival games to human-size Hungry Hungry Hippos which were so much fun,” Wilner said. 

Wilner discussed why Colgate Day is an important tradition.

“One of the main things that drew me to Colgate was the school spirit and love that both current students and alumni have for this place,” Wilner said. “Traditions like Colgate Day are so important because they feed that spirit. It also allows many students to gather in one place to celebrate one common interest, our shared love of Colgate.”

The last Colgate Day occurred during the height of the COVID-19 pandemic, and Colgate students followed strict social-distancing protocols to limit the spread of the virus, making the experience of the celebration unusual.

“Having been a freshman in 2020 during COVID-19, we never got to experience a real Colgate Day which made this one so much more special,” Wilner said. “It was very comforting to see that Colgate is back to normal and made me very excited for future Colgate students.” 

Senior Sofi Gaitan Wolfe also enjoyed having a full Colgate Day experience. 

“Last Colgate Day, we were stuck inside because of COVID-19, so this one feels kind of nostalgic and like we’ve come full circle. This day feels exciting and I’m glad we get to enjoy a Colgate Day before we graduate,” Gaitan Wolfe said.

With the campus full of many emotions this Colgate Day, the University’s traditional day of celebration offered a chance for the Colgate community to come together and connect with one another in a meaningful way.