Brief: Board of Trustees Convenes for Fall 2023 Meeting

The Board of Trustees returned to campus from Thursday, Sept. 28, to Saturday, Sept. 30, to meet and examine Colgate University’s future goals, including those outlined by the Third-Century Plan. Chair of the Board of Trustees Michael J. Herling summarized the Board’s discussions in an email sent to faculty, staff and students on Oct. 5.

In addition to welcoming new members and, officially, new Alumni Council President Lauri Curtis Hadobas ’77, the Board highlighted several projects in the works. Provost and Dean of the Faculty Lesleigh Cushing detailed the future of the Middle Campus, including the under-construction Benton Center for Creativity and Innovation, future arts pavilion and planned renovations to James C. Colgate Hall. Vice President and Dean of the College Paul J. McLoughlin then reviewed the Lower Campus’ development status and commitment to residential equity, while Interim Director of Athletics Yariv Amir discussed renovations to the Reid Athletics Center and other athletic updates. Vice President JS Hope also updated the Board on the progress of the 18-22 Utica Street redevelopment.

Additionally, members discussed the Supreme Court’s recent decision on affirmative action and further updates to the Colgate Commitment. The Board also reported on faculty appointments and $3,000,000 in donations since Spring 2023.

Herling concluded the email update with a positive outlook on the Board’s progress.

“The year is off to a great start, and the board thanks the entire Colgate community for helping fulfill our mission and the promise of the Third-Century Plan,” Herling wrote.

This was the first of multiple meetings that the Board will hold this academic year.