‘Prancer’s on Payne’ Pop-up Bar at Colgate Inn Promises Holiday Cheer

The Colgate Inn is spreading holiday cheer this season by transforming their speakeasy bar, The Library, into a festive pop-up bar for the duration of the holiday season. The temporary bar is named ‘Prancer’s on Payne’ and features holiday-themed drinks, small plates and festive music for customers to enjoy. 

The Library is a space situated beneath the Colgate Inn and is often used for private events. The bar has not been open on a weekly basis since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic. Kendra Young, general manager for the Colgate Inn, spoke about the decision to transform The Library into a holiday-themed bar.  

“We’ve had this space in existence for a while, but after [COVID-19] and struggling with staffing, we were not able to open it,” Young said. “We wanted to bring the space back to life and bring some holiday cheer in a space for people to gather and enjoy the season.” 

Additionally, Young hopes to keep the space open following the holiday season. 

“We do a lot of private events down here but our intention is to keep it open,” Young said. 

The menu for Prancer’s on Payne consisted of creative holiday cocktails, like “The Grinch Hopper,” “Mrs. Claus’s Christmas Cookie Crush,” and a “Tinsel ‘Tini.” There were also some small food options from the Colgate Inn’s kitchen, including a charcuterie board and mac and cheese bites. 

Junior Ben Molina was surprised by the physical space and enjoyed the atmosphere. He also shared his drink recommendations for students over the age of 21.

“I was immediately immersed in holiday cheer and spirit. It felt like I was walking into ‘The Three Broomsticks’ for a Butterbeer,” Molina said. “I got the ‘Mistletoe Mule,’ the ‘Hot-Buttered Rum’ and a charcuterie board. I really liked everything, especially the ‘Mistletoe Mule.’ I will also be trying the ‘North Pole Nog’ next time I go.”

Senior Cade Smith also attended the pop-up and was excited to explore a new bar in town. Smith had the ‘Sleigh Bells Sparkler’ and the ‘Mistletoe Mule,’ and highly recommended the latter. Smith had never been to The Library before and found it to be a dynamic and engaging space.  

“I enjoy a good cocktail bar and any new addition to the bar scene in Hamilton is very welcome in my opinion, even if it is only temporary,” Smith said. “I only vaguely knew about The Library before going to the pop-up, but was very pleasantly surprised when I arrived. It’s a very cozy space reminiscent of a British pub which has been decorated with a variety of festive objects for the pop-up. It’s the perfect place to pop in and enjoy a drink with friends on a cold winter evening.”

Prancer’s on Payne is a festive food and drink option for students over the age of 21 to explore before winter break. The bar is open on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. through Dec. 31.