Hamilton Kids Carnival Held to Raise Money for Madison County Gives

The Hamilton community came together with Colgate students to enjoy an afternoon of fun at the Philanthropists at Colgate (PAC) House last Friday. From face paint to balloon ping pong to bowling and more, PAC House in collaboration with Gamma Phi Beta Sorority participated in a variety of fun activities with the children of the Hamilton community during last week’s Hamilton Kids Carnival.

Music and warm, sunny weather added to the atmosphere of fun, while parents trailed their squealing children as they ran from activity to activity. Throughout the house, Colgate students, parents and children alike munched on free food that was provided by this event.

The event was held both as a community-building activity and to raise money for Madison Country Gives – adults were suggested to give a donation to the organization upon entering PAC House. Madison County Gives is primarily a partnership between Konosioni Senior Honor Society and the Upstate Institute. 

It is based online for the purpose of raising money for various organizations in Madison County. The target organizations for Madison County Gives are BRiDGES, Caz Cares, Chenango Nursery School, Community Bikes, Community Action Partnership’s Mary Rose Center, Emmaus House, Kelberman Center and Wanderer’s Rest Humane Association.

“It’s a great way to get involved with the community,” junior Vice President of Philanthropists at Colgate  Hazen Hinman said. “I’m glad the weather is so nice and that we’ve had such a good turnout.”

Some children avidly focused on mastering games such as mini golf, football and basketball, while others opted to get their face painted by student volunteers. Many Colgate students supervised their sidekicks, whom they brought to the Kids Carnival. Many of these student-child pairs could be seen chasing one another in the front yard of PAC, making crafts together at the craft table or competing in the lollipop ring toss.

“I think that the kids really enjoy it,” sophomore Katie Lannin said. “It’s a good chance for them to participate in fun activities both with Colgate students and each other. Personally, I’m having a blast helping kids with this fishing game. I love having the opportunity to spend time with families in the community.”

Hamilton Kids Carnival is the second event sponsored by PAC and Gamma Phi Beta this year with the intent of raising money for Madison County Gives. In the fall, these philanthropy groups, along with the Blue Diamond Society (BDS), organized a 5K during family weekend for the same purpose. Other events sponsored by PAC (alongside other organizations) include Colgate’s annual Night Market, which took place over the weekend; and ’Gate-Town Connection, another community building event that has taken place the last three years on Whitnall Field.