Puppy Bowl Brief: Team Ruff Beats Team Fluff in Epic Comeback

AP Photo / Animal Planet

In Animal Planet’s 20th annual Puppy Bowl, Team Ruff was able to take home the Wayfair Lombarky Trophy by a final score of 72–69 after a three-hour game for the ages. Two-time champs Team Fluff was led by offensive genius Coach Kyle Shanahound and defeated in a massive upset by the hungry Team Ruff, which was commandeered by longtime coach Nick Fur-ianni. With a record-breaking 131 dogs from 73 shelters, the match-up brought dogs from across the country to face off nose-to-nose in a fur-raising canine competition. 

Taylor Sniffed and Travis Klawce, along with other pup celebs, watched from box seats as both teams struggled for the win, supported by cuddly cheerleader pups and interrupted only by a Kitty Halftime Show featuring Purr-Sher.

The game started with pug Francine from Rescue Dogs Rock in NYC, bringing Team Fluff an early two-touchdown lead by carrying a chew toy into the endzone not once but twice. Not to be beaten, Vanessa, a Yorkshire Terrier mix from Pennsylvania, took control back for Team Ruff by scoring their first touchdown and invigorating the team to take control of the game through the rest of the half. The second half, featuring the brawnier and bigger pups, brought even tougher competition, including the largest competitor ever: Levi, a 72-pound Great Dane playing for Team Fluff. Despite Levi’s intimidating size, Team Ruff was able to carry through a solid strategy in the second half, with Siberian husky and American pit bull terrier mix Cookie from Ohio scoring the final winning touchdown.

Despite the brutal competition, both teams came together to celebrate Moosh, the Australian Shepherd mix and Team Ruff starter, who was crowned the Most Valuable Pup (MVP) of Puppy Bowl XX. Animal Planet shared that Moosh “did the impossible and helped win his team the game.” He was one of six special needs dogs featured in the 2024 Puppy Bowl, showcasing that dogs with different abilities can still be perfect additions to any team.

The game was dedicated to the smallest player ever, Sweetpea, a Cavapoo who passed away after the filming of the competition in the fall. Between the game and her passing, Sweetpea spent her time at a loving home where she had been adopted. Since the start of the Puppy Bowl, all 1,298 dogs who have played have been adopted, and there is always a surge of interest in shelters across the country following the event.

Overall, it was great sportsmanship, athleticism and adorableness across the field. Will Team Fluff recover and come back for a win in Puppy Bowl XXI? We’ll have to eagerly wait and see next year.