Chef Eric Thomas: The Culinary Charm of Colgate’s Delta Delta Delta

Printed with permission of Eric Thomas

There is a beloved member of the Colgate University Delta Delta Delta (Tri Delta) sorority that shows dedication, not only through their expertise but also through their unwavering commitment to creating unforgettable experiences that bring the sisterhood closer together. This is not a member of the Tri Delta sorority, but rather Eric Thomas, the sorority’s chef who has been creating delicious meals for the sorority for 18 years.

Thomas comes from a tight-knit family, where he is one of four children. He and his wife, Kelly Thomas, have known each other since the fifth grade. Kelly Thomas is also involved with the Colgate community through her work at the Colgate Bookstore. Thomas has two children, Mackenzie and Ethan, along with plenty of nieces and nephews. MacKenzie Thomas is enjoying her sophomore year at the University of Vermont, and Ethan Thomas is going into the ninth grade.

While Thomas loves to cook, he also has a love for music. He mostly enjoys listening to jam bands and is a huge Grateful Dead fan. When he has spare time, he enjoys attending live shows.

Thomas began cooking at a very young age, nearby Hamilton, N.Y., at SUNY Morrisville. 

“I started cooking when I was 13 [years old]. I was a dishwasher, washing pots,” Thomas said. “I then came to start working as a chef.”

Thomas’ early work experience ignited his love for cooking. Exploring new culinary opportunities, Thomas moved from his home state of New York to the South. During his time in North Carolina, he worked at the Holiday Inn under another chef.

While far warmer in North Carolina, he eventually returned to the freezing temperatures of Upstate New York, where he then went on to work for two restaurants beloved by Colgate students: the Hamilton Inn and the Colgate Inn. Finally, he came to work at the Tri Delta house and has been there ever since. 

Thomas has continued creating delectable meals for the members of Tri Delta due to his love for the students.

“I really enjoy working with the kids and watching them grow into young adults,” Thomas said. “It’s been a very, very nice experience. I’m pleased with the way things are in my house.”

Thomas cares for his job and the members of Tri Delta so much that he got a tattoo on his arm to honor his work in 2021, composed of a chef knife and three triangles, which symbolizes both his position in the house and the Delta Delta Delta Greek symbols. 

The sorority wholeheartedly appreciates Thomas, whom they call “Chef Eric,” recognizing him as an integral part of their community. Beyond his culinary talent, it’s the family dinners he prepares that truly exemplify his impact. The dinners bring Tri Delta members together in laughter, conversation and shared experiences. The members savor the smoky sweetness of his BBQ pulled pork and indulge in the savory delights of his potstickers with pierogies, along with their other favorites including pesto pasta, tacos and quesadillas. 

Zoe Tzivas, a junior and member of Delta Delta Delta, shared her favorite meal prepared by Thomas. 

“I love [Thomas’] meatloaf dinner. I never want to miss it,” Tzivas said.

MacKenzie Campbell, a senior in Tri Delta, also praised Thomas’ cooking expertise and noted his participation in sorority philanthropy events. 

“[Thomas’] pancakes are definitely a favorite among members and the Colgate community, who get a taste of his breakfast foods at our annual TriHop pancake fundraiser for St. Jude [Children’s Research Hospital],” Campbell said. 

With every bite, the members of Delta Delta Delta are reminded of Thomas’ unwavering devotion to nourishing both their bodies and bonds of sisterhood.