WRCU 90.1 FM: Student-Run Radio Station Provides Entertainment, Musical Passion to Community

Instagram / @wrcu.90.1

Editorial Correction: This article has been edited to reflect that there are two music directors for WRCU rather than just one, as it stated originally. The Colgate Maroon-News Editorial Board has changed the text of this article to reflect the proper facts of the story and apologizes for the previous inaccuracy.

WRCU 90.1 FM, the student-run radio station of Colgate University, provides a platform for students to express themselves creatively through music, talk shows and other programming. WRCU broadcasts on the frequency 90.1 FM and streams online on the WRCU website.

As a college radio station, WRCU offers a diverse range of content, including music spanning various genres, news updates, sports coverage and discussions on campus events and issues. It serves both as a source of entertainment for the Colgate community and as a training ground for students interested in media and broadcasting careers.

First-year Scarlet Fishkind is the co-music director for WRCU alongside her counterpart, sophomore Lulu Manco-Stenz. Fishkind immersed herself in the world of WRCU with her first radio show this past fall, titled “JUMP AROUND,” featuring 90s rap, hip-hop and R&B. Fishkind explained that she has been interested in exploring and working with music for several years and her current position in WRCU has allowed her to channel that passion.

“For as long as I can remember, I have been researching and learning about music,” Fishkind said. “For me, music is more than mere conversations with friends. I love writing about songs, reading about records, researching artists and their backstories and going to live performances.”

Behind the scenes, Fishkind is responsible for listening to new music that radio promoters and labels send to WRCU. She sorts through numerous tracks every day and communicates with representatives from the labels and promotion companies to let them know what songs are resonating well with audiences. She then curates a playlist — called “rotations” — at the end of each week.

“The rotations allow WRCU to support small independent artists, as well as constantly update the system with new music,” Fishkind said.

Sophomore Bennett Rowe, who took on the role of general manager in January, helps to ensure that things run smoothly at WRCU. From board meetings to working with the Office of Student Involvement (OSI), Rowe addresses any problems that arise at the station. Rowe explained some of the daily aspects of his role that he tends to throughout a given week. 

The week starts on Sunday with our board meeting, during which we go over all of the tasks for the week, successes and challenges, plan future events and discuss overall plans,” Rowe said. “After the meeting, I might meet with individual members of the board to go over specific tasks, or answer emails or calls. I try to keep in touch with OSI as much as possible to ensure that we’re properly registering events and can access our funding for various projects.”

Rowe explained that he is most proud of getting the artist Bloomsday to perform at the station this spring. Rowe also played a prominent role in helping Colgate Live Music Collective bring two of his favorite bands — Wednesday and Hotline TNT — to campus earlier this semester.

Rowe elaborated on his position, sharing that he works closely with sophomore Maya Khadem, program director for WRCU. Khadem explained how WRCU provided an opportunity for her to get involved with more leadership opportunities on campus.

“I’m someone who naturally loves leadership positions,” Khadem said. “So when a spot opened up on WRCU’s board, I was happy to apply. After a few years of serving as the communications director, I had the opportunity to be promoted to program director.”

Looking forward, the board envisions that WRCU will remain a welcoming space for everyone, regardless of past experiences, backgrounds or interests. WRCU is focused on creating the best programming they can, serving Colgate, Hamilton and the surrounding community with high-quality broadcasting.

“I believe WRCU is unique in that regard. We bring so many different kinds of people together through music,” Fishkind said. “I also know that as long as we have a radio station at Colgate, I will remain a part of WRCU. Being a part of the radio brings me so much joy, and I hope to continue in some capacity until I graduate.”