SGA Hosts Annual Fireside Chat

The Student Government Association (SGA) hosted its annual Fireside Chat in the O’Connor Campus Center (COOP) on Sunday, October 20 to discuss the successes and concerns of the Student Government. Catered by The Barge Canal Coffee Company, the study break offered a chance for students to talk to SGA representatives while enjoying coffee, hot chocolate, tea, cookies and brownies.

“The ‘Fireside Chat’ was created in 2011 when I led a campaign to relight the fireplace in the Coop,” senior and SGA president Sam Flood said. “The goal of the event is for students to interact with their SGA representatives to promote a dialogue about academic, social and University issues.”

According to first-year Stephanie Poland, the event offered an easy way to talk to members of the SGA.

“I wanted to get to know who’s on student government and what their plans for the year are,” Poland said. “It was so nice that [the SGA] showed their faces and did something for the students. I actually got to talk to our president and he seemed really interested in who I am and what I had to say.”

Flood also appreciated the chance to talk to students and get a sense of the issues that matter to them.

“I enjoyed speaking with students about their concerns and issues they are passionate about,” Flood said. “It is an ideal forum to meet underclassmen students who are interested in becoming more involved in Student Government, and receive their feedback about their first few months at Colgate.”

The fireplace was lit this past weekend just as the weather began to cool, as dictated by the Buildings and Grounds guidelines. Although the Fireside Chat has only been held once a year in the past, according to Flood, the SGA is considering coordinating more due to the event’s popularity.

“Over 150 students came by the COOP to enjoy the cookies, brownies and hot chocolate catered by the Barge Canal,” Flood said. “Due to the event’s success, SGA is considering hosting another one.”

One change this year is how the fireplace operates, an initiative led by Senior Policy Coordinator Albert Raminfard.”Raminfard facilitated the installation of a new system to manage fireplace usage, which is important to create a more efficient and environmentally-friendly process,” Flood said.

“It was a nice social event,” Poland said. “There were different people of all ages

there. I really did enjoy the fireside chat. Talking to the student government was my favorite part.”

The Coop fireplace will be lit from 6 to 11 p.m. on Sundays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

Contact Stacey Stein at [email protected]