47 New Faculty Members Join the University

Colgate added more new faculty than usual for the 2013-2014 academic year. This semester there are 47 additions to the  faculty,  including tenured professors, visiting professors and post-doctoral fellows as well as positions in athletics and

the library.

Joining the academic community this year are scholars in the fields of philosophy, mathematics, political science, music and more. These faculty members hail from all over the country, as well as some from the far corners of the world, enriching Colgate with thier diverse experiences and specialties.

Newly hired Professor Penny Lane of theFilm & Media Studies department has taught at Hampshire College, Williams College and Bard College. Lane works as an artist and filmmaker, having recently released her first feature film titled “Our Nixon” in theaters across the nation. It will air again in November on CNN. Lane was named one of Filmmaker Magazine’s “25 New Faces of Independent Film”

in 2012.

“The weather is beautiful, the campus is gorgeous, my students are great, my colleagues have been very welcoming,” Lane said.

In the English department, Professor Craig Hamilton comes to Colgate from previous teaching positions in Europe and across the United States. His main interests include cognitive science and its connection with language and rhetoric.

According to Hamilton, Colgate is different from many of the other colleges where he has taught.

“Colgate is small, which is really good. It is easy to meet people here, and everyone seems bright, friendly and helpful. Things are pretty different when you are at a big university,” Hamilton said.

He is looking forward to getting to know the students and staff and learning new things. “If you are a professor, then you enjoy life-long learning,” Hamilton said. “Also, I am originally from Canada, so I cannot wait for the Colgate men’s ice hockey season to start.”

Professor David Gray of the philosophy department comes to Colgate from Vanderbilt University where he worked as the Mellon Assistant Professor of Philosophy. He holds a Ph.D. and M.A. from Harvard University. He concentrates in the philosophy of the mind, philosophy of psychology and African-American philosophy.

Four positions in the library have been added, including an instructional design and web librarian as well as a rare book and digital manuscript librarian, while the athletic department added an assistant women’s basketball coach and assistant

football coach.

Contact Kelsey Soderberg at [email protected].