In The Light: Frank Coughlin

For over 15 years, lacrosse has been an important part of senior Frank Cough­lin’s life. The English major hailing from Manhasset, New York basically grew up with the sport, and has continued as a mid­fielder for the Raiders men’s lacrosse team for the past four years.

Although the athlete has many memo­ries of lacrosse, he will never forget the col­lection of memories in the locker room with his teammates.

“It’s a place with so many laughs and good vibes. I’ll always remember the good times we had together in a small environment,” the se­nior said. “The locker room really embodies the spirit of the team and athletics.”

Even though Coughlin dedicates a large portion of his time to the lacrosse team, the senior found ways to involve himself in other activities on campus. Currently, he is a mem­ber of Link Staff, Student Athletic Advisory Committee, First Year Experience Advisory Board and is also a member of Konosioni, Colgate’s honor society. Coughlin became a Link to give back to first-years and to make an impact on their Colgate experience.

“The first few days are so crucial to the college experience and it’s good to have a solid foundation. Students should be en­couraged to do new things and not shy away from them,” he said.

The senior also stresses the importance of friendships made at Colgate. His father always told him friendship was something that people let come to them.

“In college, who you’re friends with is so important to your experience. It’s important to make friends and encourage others to do so,” the senior explained.

Coughlin didn’t let athletics keep him from experiencing time abroad. The senior spent the summer before his sophomore year abroad in Florence, Italy for six weeks.

“I was able to get a taste of it but I would have loved to go for six months,” Coughlin said.

The senior has a lot to look forward to after graduation. In July, Coughlin will start as an analyst for Bank of America Merrill Lynch in New York City.

“I’m excited for the up-tempo, intense environment,” Coughlin said. “The skills that I’ve learned on and off the athletic field have prepared me for this.”

Coughlin has certainly made the most of his four years at Colgate, but he’s ready to venture into his new life.

“It’s definitely bittersweet. I’m excited to start life, but at the same time I hope I haven’t missed out on anything that I’d like to do here,” he said.