In The Light: Teesa Bahana

The transition to college can be a mixture of emotions for every student. The experience proved to be a big change for senior Teesa Ba­hana, who was born and raised in Zambia, but now lives in Uganda. The peace and conflict studies and sociology double major described the transition as a “culture shock”.

“The transition was different in a lot of ways. I was able to get used to the weather, but snow still strikes me as magical. The biggest transition was in terms of people,” the senior explained.

Bahana’s love for Colgate stems from what it offers its students.

“I love the opportunities Colgate gives you. If you’re aware of what is out there, you can do some incredible things that you wouldn’t be able to do anywhere else,” Bahana said.

The senior is involved in the African Stu­dent Union, Colgate Christian Fellowship, Sociology and Anthropology Club and is a member of Konosioni. Bahana also hosts a radio show, “Cape to Cairo,” on WRCU that plays African music.

Bahana made sure to take advantage of Colgate’s study abroad program when she chose to study in Geneva last spring.

“The experience was incredible. Never in my wildest dreams have I conceived of things that I got to do during my study abroad,” she said.

In regards to advice for other students, Bahana encourages individuality among the Colgate campus.

“Recognize that this is your experience and your experience only. It’s tempting to follow along with others, but college is re­ally a time to figure out your own identity and discover your own path. You’re really missing out if you are following others,” the senior said.

Looking back on her four years at Col­gate, Bahana will always remember Lupe Fi­asco’s performance at Spring Party Weekend of her sophomore year.

“I was surrounded by some of my favor­ite people at Colgate in front of one of my favorite artists at the time, on a glorious spring day. Very little can top that for me,” Bahana said.

After she graduates, Bahana plans to take a year or two off and hopes to attend gradu­ate school to work in community develop­ment in Africa. Although the senior will be graduating in May, she feels ready to start her life after her four years at Colgate.

“It feels natural to be moving on in life. Being a freshman feels so long ago and I feel like I’ve been here long enough. It’s scary, just like any big change is.”