In The Light: Walfrey Lim

For many, senior Walfrey Lim is a friendly face on the Colgate campus. Born in the Philippines, Lim moved to Pough­keepsie, New York when he was seven-years-old and describes himself as “very open to everything.” Thus, Lim’s personal­ity fits right in with his favorite aspect of the Colgate community: its openness.

“Regardless of what you’re interested in, you can always find your space here,” he said.

Over the course of his four years, Lim has claimed Colgate Chapel as his home, which is the scene of many of his dance performances. Lim followed his passion for the performing arts and declared himself a theater major in the fall of his junior year. The senior co-leads the FUSE Dance Team.

“We started it because we wanted a con­temporary, modern-based dance group,” Kim said. “I’m very into movements and having a theatrical presence in dance.”

Not surprisingly, Lim has been danc­ing since he was five-years-old and has per­formed for many clubs at Colgate including the South Asian Cultural Organization and the Latin American Student Organization. Lim has also performed in every Dancefest at Colgate since his first semester, and has performed in charity functions at the Palace Theater in downtown Hamilton.

When Lim isn’t performing, he spends his time as a Residential Advisor (R.A.)

“I’m very into meeting new people. As an RA, I learn something from residents all of the time,” Lim explained. “It’s nice to really get to know someone and to be able to call them a friend.”

Looking back on his experience at Col­gate, the senior said his most memorable moment was his Center for Outreach, Volunteerism and Education (COVE) service trip to the Dominican Republic this past winter break, where he presented information on malnutrition to students.

“We were able to work with kids who were very passionate about helping their own community and it was really nice to see that,” Lim said.

After graduation, Lim plans to explore his options with various dance companies and dance classes.

“I’m really into the creative aspect of things, so I might look into marketing and advertising as well,” he said. “I’m also very passionate with non-profit organizations.”

On the whole, Lim describes his last semester at Colgate as “surreal.”

“I wanted to fast forward life to get into the real world but a lot of what’s made me who I am now is experiences I’ve had here and the people I’ve met at Colgate,” Lim explained.