Philanthropic Performances

In order to raise funds for the victims of the January 12 earthquake in Haiti, various artistic organizations and individuals volunteered their time and talent for the Hope for Haiti Concert that occurred Saturday, January 30 in the Memorial Chapel.

Performances included mainly dance and musical pieces by students, renowned artists, faculty and local musicians. Sisters Sarah and Isabella Crovella, children from Hamilton, played the piano early on, and The University Church Worship Band sang and played “Yes, Lord” and “Better is One Day” to the audience.

Other participants included the Sojourner Gospel Choir, Not Quite Ready, Zlatko Grozl, Jango Radley, Kathleen Armenti, Jeff Taylor Scott, Douglas Reu, Earthman Embassy, Diandra Rivera, Phoebe Rotter, Emily Smith, Aquapod, Naledi Semela, Eliza Gomez, Dangerboy, Ed Vollmer, Caitlin Grossjung, The Andrew Wylie Project Experience Band, Tommy Ho and the Barncats and the Testostertones.

For a cappella groups, both the Colgate Resolutions and the Colgate Thirteen donated their abilities for the night, as well as the student organization CRRABS, which contributed poetic songs accompanied by guitar. The dance group FUSE, newly formed this year, had choreographed pieces just for the event as well. The students who decided to help all volunteered themselves in support of this cause, and the high number of participants reflects the generosity of Colgate’s artists.

The Hamilton dance group’s number was done to a mix of top 40 songs including “I Know You Want Me” by Pitbull and “Disturbia” by Rihanna, and the McDowell Brothers sang Louis Armstrong’s “What a Wonderful World.” Chris Shenkel, playing the cello, and Sarah Wider, on the piano, who performed together, were two of the other musicians present. Adding to the dances and musical pieces was Experimental Theater with their acting creating more of a variety for the crowd.

Joanne Shenandoah, a well-known Iroqouis singer, composer and acoustic guitarist came to Colgate to be involved in the concert. Her sister and nephew were in attendance and sang and played percussion instruments alongside Shenandoah, who shared stories about attending the Grammy’s, where she won an award for her part in the album Sacred Ground with Walela and Rita Coolidge, and she mentioned her role in the 2006 film The Last Winter.

With over 20 groups involved in the fundraiser, the Colgate community was entertained by all artistic genres from contemporary choreography, gospel music, and a cappella songs to theatrical numbers, folk songs, poetry and rap. The well-rounded concert allowed for students in the chapel to enjoy themselves by appreciating the artistic talents of their peers, the local community and established musicians at the same time as they were sending their support and aid to the people of Haiti. Organized by Mark Shiner, Catholic campus minister, David Levy, the university’s Jewish chaplain and Lorraine Joseph, Colgate’s Music Department’s Concert Manager, the Hope for Haiti Concert celebrated the arts and reminded the Colgate community to think of Haiti and offer our help in any way possible, whether that is by volunteering our talent or by simply attending the performance.