13 Days of Green Celebrates Sustainability

Colgate celebrated the first of its 13 Days of Green countdown to Earth Day on Wednesday, April 10 on the academic quad.

Wednesday, April 10 marked the beginning of Colgate’s annual celebration of sustainability, a 13-day long period of events comprising the “13 Days of Green” leading up to Earth Day. Events throughout the celebration include a pop-up thrift shop, special film screenings and the opportunity to help local Hamilton community organizations with COVE. The kick-off event began at 4 p.m. in a large tent on the Academic Quad. Almost immediately, students and faculty gathered around the giant inflatable globe to hear more about the sustainability practices of many different organizations on campus and to get involved in sustainability themselves.

“This is so special because it allows groups from all around campus to come and talk about how they can relate to sustainability and how they have their own initiatives as well. It really brings the campus together for these 13 days,” senior Madison Smith, head of the Programming Committee for 13 Days of Green, said.

Some organizations within Colgate and the Hamilton community that made an appearance at the “13 Days of Green Kickoff Event” included the Presidents Club, COVE, the Center for Career Services, Students for Environmental Action and Common Thread CSA.

Common Thread is a Community Supported Agriculture farm located in Madison County, and their table at the kick off event advertised their CSA service, where one can receive a box full of fresh and in-season vegetables weekly from the farm. They are currently working on bringing the CSA service to Colgate, so that students can have easy access to sustainably grown, farm-fresh vegetables. This organization is just one example of how not only Colgate but the entire Hamilton community is getting involved in this annual sustainability celebration.

“I love being involved in 13 Days of Green because I think it’s a unique opportunity to bring together diverse organizations from around campus to celebrate everything that Colgate is doing in terms of sustainability, as well as talk about what we can do better in order to create a more sustainable Colgate for the future,” sophomore Ethan Reiser said.

This event also had a water tasting booth, testing students to see if they could tell the difference between tap water and various bottled waters. Additionally, the event shared sustainable snacks and recipes with the community, while offering the opportunity to win free reusable shopping bags as well. Students and faculty also got to enjoy various veggies, wraps and sandwiches from the Hamilton Eatery.

“It was so cool to learn that so many different organizations on campus have such a strong involvement in sustainability,” sophomore Madison Mixer said. “I love seeing all of these organizations coming together for this common cause!”

Thirteen Days of Green will end with an Earth Day Action Party featuring a performance by Tach Band, poster making and chalk art, as well as the opportunity to meet and talk to some amazing student art activists. Be sure to attend the remaining 13 Days of Green events and check the Colgate events calendar for more details.

Contact Sasha Balasanov at [email protected].