In The Light: Kendall Ferguson

Senior Kendall Ferguson

Senior Kendall Ferguson quickly adjusted to Colgate after graduating from her Los Angeles high school, which had a graduating class of 92. Ferguson was drawn to Colgate for its small classroom environment, as she has always benefited from the care and support of her teachers.

A philosophy, film and media studies and writing and rhetoric concentrator, Ferguson has loved getting to know her professors and exploring a wide variety of topics through her courses, both on and off-campus. Ferguson studied abroad twice during her Colgate education and cites the experiences as some of her most memorable.

“I went [abroad] as a sophomore through [the] Sophomore Residential Seminar [program] and went to Greece for two and half weeks over winter break. I also went to St. Andrews in Scotland the spring of my junior year,” Ferguson said.

Ferguson said Professor Jacob Klein, who led her trip to Scotland, is one of her favorite professors.

“He was a great professor to have abroad and his class was always interesting,” Ferguson said.

Ferguson is involved on campus as a Senior Admissions Fellow, the Nominating Committee Chair of Kappa Kappa Gamma and a member of the Student Affairs Governance Board.

In her little spare time, Ferguson can be found on the couch at the Kappa Kappa Gamma house spending time with her sisters, watching TV or catching up on sleep. A big fan of romantic comedies, Ferguson’s favorites are “Something Borrowed” and “Sleeping with Other People.”

Looking back on her Colgate experience, Ferguson struggled to pick just one thing about Colgate’s community that she will miss the most.

“I think [I’ll miss] just Colgate in general and the people who I [won’t] get to see as often after I graduate,” Ferguson said.

She is hoping to explore New York City post-graduation. She had a media internship last summer and which opened her eyes to the variety within the communications industry.

“[Last summer,] I work[ed] at a media agency called Universal McCann. It was a great experience because it was my first internship where I actually saw myself doing this in the future,” Ferguson said. “My past internships have been fun but none of them were jobs that I actually wanted to do, [and] so it was refreshing to have my last internship be a launching pad into an industry that interests me.”

Ferguson offered advice to current first-years to pursue a wide variety of interests at Colgate, but to not feel pressured to always do everything.

“It is okay to say no! Colgate presents you with a lot of opportunities and unlike high school you don’t need to feel pressure to take advantage of all of them. Only say yes to what makes you happy and the things you are passionate about,” Ferguson said.

Contact Jessica Argento at [email protected]