In The Light: Caroline Hurwitz

Senior Caroline Hurwitz has always liked to forge her own path. That is why when picking a college, she was originally hesitant to come to Colgate. Her grandfather, father, aunt and second cousin are all Colgate graduates. Originally from Aurora, Ohio, a suburb of Cleveland, Hurwitz changed her mind after visiting and seeing what Colgate had to offer – particularly the close relationships with professors, opportunities for artistic exploration and the fun social scene – and couldn’t see herself going anywhere else. 

Hurwitz is concentrating in English and Creative Writing. Having grown up an obsessive reader, there were points in Hurwitz’s life where she was reading up to ten books a week. 

“Eventually I began to think critically about the craft of writing, particularly nonfiction, which begs a balance between exacting truth and human truths not easily explained,” Hurwitz said.

On campus, Hurwitz is the co-president of Colgate’s only sketch comedy team, Experimental Theater Company (ETC). She also facilitated Yes Means Yes for three years. 

Hurwitz spent the fall of her junior year at King’s College London. She said the experience of studying at a different school in a foreign country positively shaped her perspective on the world. 

“The art I was exposed to in my four months there made irreparable changes (for the better) to my understanding of perspective, the balance of the universe and the tradition of human creation,” Hurwitz said.

Hurwitz has stayed busy during her time off campus. She worked waiting tables at restaurants over her summers and, last summer, interned in the wine department of Christie’s Auction House. For the past two summers, Hurwitz also studied nonfiction writing at Columbia University. 

After graduation, Hurwitz will work  for director Joe Berlinger helping to make documentaries in New York City. When asked what she will miss most about Colgate, Hurwitz expressed appreciation for Colgate’s rural setting. 

“I will miss the trees, which are very diverse and resilient. The sky is also particularly expressive in this part of the world, and I will miss the largeness and moodiness of it,” Hurwitz said.  

When asked what her advice to other students is, Hurwitz explained the need for vulnerability and empathy. 

“Listen to your body, have the courage to express vulnerability, and work to dismantle the institutions and structures that stagnate your humanity and spiritual growth. Find empathetic people with good taste in music that make you laugh. Then hold on to them – tightly