Spot Dance Center Brings Dance, Music and Fitness to Hamilton

The Spot Dance and Fitness Center on Lebanon Street opened this year, much to the delight of the Colgate community and Hamilton residents alike. The Center offers a wide variety of classes.

The Spot Dance and Fitness Center (TSDC) has just opened a new location in Hamilton, NY at 19 Lebanon Street, adding to an increasing collection of artistic efforts in town. Jacqueline Babcock is the owner and Artistic Director of TSDC. Although the studio is a very recent development, Babcock and the entire Hamilton community are excited to see it flourish.

“In 2013, the opportunity was presented to me to develop a program here in Hamilton. The timing was perfect for my family and me. We decided to make it happen and are thrilled to be a part of such a wonderful community,” Babcock said.

Although Hamilton has art galleries and theaters, there is not currently anything like TSDC. Its existence provides a fantastic chance for people to explore new interests and become physically fit while having fun.

A truly creative leader, Babcock has achieved tremendous success in many other programs as well.

“I am also the creator of the former CNY Performing Arts Center, now the CNY Performing Arts Studio, in Syracuse, NY. I directed the program at CNYPAC from 2007-2012 until my family relocated to Earlville, NY,” Babcock said.

TSDC is meant to be a place for students of all ages and abilities to receive fun and professional training. Types of dance classes include creative movement, tap, jazz, lyrical, ballet, hip hop, musical theater and acro. However, the opportunities to learn are not limited to dance; group fitness classes are also available.

The center will also feature workshops and master classes with professional dancers, choreographers, theater performers and fitness instructors throughout the year. These programs will be open to all members of the Hamilton community.

“Several of our students are children of Colgate professors and staff, but we are not directly affiliated with Colgate University,” Babcock said.

On September 24, the studio offered a country heat dance workout, which several ladies of all ages showed up to.

Looking ahead, Saturday, October 22 from 1:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m., the studio will be hosting a hip-hop intensive program with DMac, a hip-hop dancer and choreographer who has worked with performers like Usher, Pink and Cody Simpson. He has also performed on “Dancing with the Stars” and “The Pulse on Tour.”

Although the studio is located on Lebanon Street, Babcock is looking forward to branching out and creating an immersive experience for all, regardless of where people come from. Perhaps Colgate could support the studio by partnering for a charity fundraising effort or hosting a student dance day.

“I would love to branch out and incorporate our programs into the surrounding area. Hamilton businesses and the Colgate community have such a unified relationship and I look forward to joining forces to be a part of it,” Babcock said.

Thanks to the professional, positive, creative and fun environment found within the studio, people of all ages and skill-levels are sure to have an enriching and rewarding experience in this haven for dance and expression.