Brief: Fall Semester Brings Increased COVID-19 Cases on Campus

According to an email on Thursday, Aug. 31, Colgate University is experiencing an increase in the number of confirmed COVID-19 cases within the campus community. The email, sent by Director of Student Health Services (SHS) Dr. Ellen Larson, outlined the general increase in COVID-19 cases in New York State, the uptick on campus and practices that can be used to prevent further spreading.

“This week, we have observed an increase in the number of confirmed COVID-19 cases among our campus community, with a total of 11 cases identified by Student Health Services (SHS),” Larson wrote.

The email highlighted the importance of remaining up to date with COVID-19 vaccines and boosters, which is strongly encouraged but not required by the University. Larson also recommended hand hygiene and masking in order to stop the spread. 

SHS suggested that any students experiencing symptoms seek out a COVID-19 test, which can be purchased at local pharmacies. Students that do not have access to a test can call SHS to discuss their symptoms and testing. 

Larson added that SHS will continue to keep the campus updated on campus COVID-19 cases, COVID-19 vaccine information from the FDA and CDC and any future on-campus clinics for boosters and the flu vaccine. 

“We continue to closely monitor the situation and will keep you informed as we work together to address this recent increase in confirmed cases on campus,” Larson wrote.