University Releases More Details for Lower Campus, Plans for New Residential Commons

In an update published by The Colgate Magazine, Colgate University officials detailed some of the extensive changes planned for Broad Street in an update to its Lower Campus. Part of the Third-Century Plan, the transformation — which will take over a decade to fully realize — will create more equitable housing and greater social and academic options for upperclassmen through the renovation of existing buildings and construction of new spaces.

The update, published on Aug. 8, announced that the first of these two renovations — beginning Summer 2024 — will take place at 66 Broad Street, the chapter house of Delta Upsilon, and 70 Broad Street, the special interest house known as The Loj, populated by members of Colgate’s Outdoor Education program.

Although an exact timeline is yet to be determined, the University’s update confirmed that, amidst these first two renovations, architects will begin submitting plans for the previously-announced set of new buildings behind the existing houses on Broad Street that will be known as West Row.

Colgate University President Brian W. Casey noted the importance of taking time developing such a large project.

“We will always engage in long-term planning, seeking sustained change,” Casey said in the update. “It is so easy to do quick things, but we will take the longer-term view.”

Additionally, while these renovations are completed and then able to house the necessary amount of students, Colgate will begin an expansion of its Residential Commons system with the addition of a fifth community: Fox Commons, named for alumnus Bob Fox ‘59, who previously announced a donation of $10 million to construct a new residential building — Fox Hall — to replace the temporary (yet long-standing) Gate House.

This quadrangle — which promises new living and social spaces — will house enough underclassmen to remove the need for housing at 113 Broad Street, which will be removed once Fox Hall is completed to achieve the goal of housing all freshmen and sophomores up the hill.

Vice President and Dean of the College Paul J. McLoughlin II, who is at the forefront of these developments, described his vision to The Colgate Magazine and its connection to Colgate’s Third-Century Plan.

“The Third-Century Plan makes it possible to redefine Broad Street, opening the community to a more equitable experience — in social space, living space, and dining space,” McLoughlin said in the update. “This vision, once realized, will make Colgate’s residential experience even more distinctive than it is today.”