Caltavuturo’s Colgate Couture: How to Look Your Best This Fall

This trendy “Drape Drape Top” will keep you warm this fall and ensure you’re one of the most stylish people on campus 

The academic year is underway and Colgate is buzzing with excitement. A new year means new classes, friends, clubs and activities. What better to complement these exciting new experiences than a little wardrobe update? The weather in Hamilton at this time of year is gorgeous and the possibilities are endless when it comes to choosing an outfit for both guys and girls. The Pantone color palette this fall indicates soft greens, blue-greens, maroons, soft oranges and soft purples are the hottest colors of the season. As always, black is both stylish and wearable during the fall. This fashion update was created with my fellow Colgate students in mind to help everyone make style conscious choices and to look their best this fall.

For ladies, there are a number of fall styles worth looking into. One that I’ve seen look great time and time again is the shift dress. These dresses are versatile and can range in style from preppy to edgy. A conservative, simple shift that is great for class or a nice dinner out is the Cooperative “Ponte” Seamed A-Line Dress from Urban Outfitters in maroon. If you’re looking for a more casual shift, check out the Silence + Noise Textured Knit Mini Dress in black and white, also from Urban Outfitters. Thinner sweaters are another fall staple worth experimenting with. Check out the “Drape Drape Top” from Free People in sunset if you want a sweater that’s both lightweight and cozy this fall (it pairs perfectly with black leggings). In the footwear department, go for a simple black bootie such as the Jeffrey Campbell “Oshea” Boot from Urban Outfitters. As far as accessories go, silver tone jewelry accented with natural stones as well as chokers are hot this season. If you’re in the market for a choker check out Gypsy Warrior’s Velvet Crystal Choker. If wrist candy is more your thing, consider the “Tibetan Dreams” and “Thunder Ceremony” cuffs also from Gypsy Warrior. 

For the gentlemen, the best way to approach fall style is something I’d like to call a “refined return to the basics.” I’ve always favored menswear in traditional dark-toned solids, but with an updated touch. For example, one piece that I believe should be a fall essential for every Colgate guy is Banana Republic’s Slim Dark Wash Jean. It’s versatile and neutral, yet updated, as its slim leg lends its wearer a modern look. Henley shirts are another example of a “refined classic”. They’re cozy and stylish and most have a tailored fit that complement the wearer well. My personal favorite is Lucky Brand’s Heather Henley in khaki or charcoal. Men’s fall footwear has always revolved around one important staple: the casual boot. It pairs well with jeans, khakis or cords and it’s wearable in cool, sunny or rainy weather. My picks for a casual boot would be Red Wing’s Classic Moc in Oro Legacy Leather and Clarks’ Desert Boot in Oakwood Suede. Guys should keep it simple in the accessories department. I recommend a simple chain link or nylon strap watch in forest green or bright orange. 

I hope that this little bit of style guidance goes a long way for you during the new semester. I believe that proper color selection, flattering cuts and updated fits, along with personal touches, will make your style stand out this fall. I hope to see some interesting fashion statements on campus during these first few weeks of school, but in the meantime: stay cool, Colgate.