I Miss Old-Fashioned Movies

Graphic: McKenna Dalton

Ive been called an old soul for as long as I can remember. Even as a kid, I gravitated towards classic rock music (thanks to my dad’s strong influence) and grew up watching old-timey movies, such as Ferris Bueller’s Day Off,” and even Stephen King’s well-known film, “The Shining.” Today, I still gravitate towards older movies and music, to which the “Dazed and Confused” and Led Zeppelin posters on my dormitory wall can attest. 

I still consider myself a film buff. I keep up with up-and-coming films, go to the movies as much as possible and use the film-reviewing app Letterboxd like any other form of social media. That being said, I find myself finding the most comfort and satisfaction in older movies, and feel unsatisfied with the production of contemporary films.

Don’t get me wrong — some cinematic masterpieces have emerged from the 21st century. I love any Christopher Nolan movies, and, on top of that, “La La Land” and “Argo” will forever be among my favorites. The directing, editing, screenwriting and special effects of our current era top any movie released before the 2000s. However, while watching a film that predates the 21st century, the sense of nostalgia and longing for a society without the predominance of technology will inherently, in my opinion, cause older movies to remain more enjoyable than films of our current era.

Let’s use “Dazed and Confused” as an example. In case you haven’t seen it, this coming-of-age film stars house names, such as Matthew McConaughey and Ben Affleck, and centers around a group of rowdy high schoolers on the first day of summer. Taking place during the 1970s, this lighthearted film displays how, without technology, teenagers made the most out of their day by genuinely enjoying their environment and each other’s presence. 

Nowadays, moments like these are fleeting, as iPhones and social media cause teenagers to disregard arguably some of the most critical moments in their lives. As a screenager myself, I genuinely wish that technology lacked the prominence it currently holds in our lives. I feel sad when I realize I can only live in technology-free environments paradoxically through a screen. 

I also can’t help but miss the pre-COVID-19 movie watching experience. My fondest childhood memories involve going to the movie theater with friends and family and eating so much popcorn, candy and slushies that my stomach hurt for days afterward. The whole theater-going experience forces the viewer to appreciate the artful nature of the film, free of distractions like telephones, noisy family members and barking dogs. Nowadays, with the emergence of streaming platforms such as Netflix, HBO Max and Amazon Prime Video, many movie theaters have lost their novelty, as the convenience of streaming media discourages the traditional movie-watching experience. In the post-COVID-19 era, it feels many people cannot rationalize leaving their homes to see a movie when one is available at their fingertips. Viewing a movie from the comfort of your home simply cannot provide the sense of community and vulnerability felt in the theater. 

For me, films mean more than just the visual experience; they also build community, stir up emotions, force us to assess the complexity of human nature and society and notice the artful decisions that create the final product shown to the audience. Although contemporary cinema still calls for all of these factors, the simple yet satisfying nostalgic nature of old films gives me insight on a technology-free world, which makes me appreciate them even more.