Engaging Colgate Through Student-Run Publications

Graphic: Emma Barrison

Colgate University’s several student-run publications cover a wide variety of topics and unique purposes. However, they all share the aim to engage the Colgate student body. Some student publications include Colgate Magazine, the Colgate.edu news blog, HER Campus, Portfolio and 13 Degrees Magazine. 

Colgate Magazine and the Colgate.edu news blog are both publications of the Office of University Communications.

Junior Bri Liddell, a writer for Colgate Magazine, explained the mission of the two publications for the Office of Communications.

“[The publications want] to inform Colgate community members, including alumni, prospective students, parents, faculty and current students, about campus life and the accomplishments of those connected to Colgate,” Liddell said. 

The two publications focus on sharing a wide variety of Colgate campus news with the University’s larger network of alumni and interested parties.

“I write about lots of topics, including campus events like lectures and festivals, students’ achievements like new clubs, research or scholarships won, alumni achievements, new or interesting classes, esteemed professors and even obituaries,” Liddell said. 

Colgate Magazine and the Colgate.edu news blog hope to continue to spread information regarding the University. 

“The future goals for the publication are to continue documenting and showcasing the incredible achievements of the Colgate community,” Liddell said. 

Colgate’s HER Campus publication is a branch of a larger all-female organization that seeks to provide an online forum for information regarding all things female.

“HER Campus is an online media platform dedicated to empowering college women. Specifically, we are the Colgate chapter of Her Campus and are a community for college women to navigate the unique experiences that come with the transformative time of being in college at Colgate,” junior and HER Campus contributor Alisa Kukharkin said. 

“HER Campus is a magazine by college women, for college women that is designed to allow women from different colleges across the country to share their stories and connect with others,” sophomore and HER Campus Contributor Sarah Goggin said.

“People are drawn to HER Campus because we cover such a wide variety of topics that are interesting to college aged women,” Goggin said. 

HER Campus covers entertainment, news, academics, mental health, sex and relationships, just to name a few. They have published articles that appeal to both Colgate students specifically and a broader audience, such as “How to Set Healthy Boundaries with Your College Roommate,” “5 Winter Wardrobe Essentials Every Colgate Student Should Own,” “How to Find a Therapist if You’re an Out-of-State College Student” and “3 College Relationship Green Flags (& 3 Red Flags).”

Like Colgate’s other student publications, HER Campus hopes to continue to provide quality publications and engage with the student body. 

“We would like to expand our network of HER Campus writers to be able to cover more topics each week. We would also like to have a greater presence on campus and do more in-depth Colgate-related articles,” Goggin said.

Colgate Portfolio is a magazine focused on student art and literature. Their mission, according to their website, as Colgate University’s only student-run literary and art publication is to empower creativity by providing all students a forum for publication that showcases their work and shares their truth.

Portfolio is meant to encourage creativity and allow artists to feel empowered to share their work, through visual arts, prose and poetry, sophomore and Assistant Prose Editor of Portfolio Abby Call said.

13 Degrees Magazine is an online publication that also aims to express the student body’s creativity and unique interests. 

“Our goal is to create an archive of expression from each school year, documenting the multiple ways students choose to express their identities,” junior Anki Suri said. “Our platform exists to create a physical legacy of these stories to be shared for years.” 

13 Degrees aims to connect students to their peers through their submissions-based style as well as segments such as “Fire Fit Friday,” in which students can support their friends by submitting their outfits to a roundup of some of the best looks on campus. 

13 Degrees plans on continuing to engage Colgate students in the future through open club meetings, workshops, photoshoots with student models, collaborations with more student organizations and a school-wide gala during Arts, Creativity and Innovation Weekend. 

The variety of student publications offers Colgates students an outlet to express themselves through creative and unique platforms.