’Gate Gift Guide: Special Holiday Edition

The winter holiday season is upon us, and you might be thinking about buying gifts for friends at Colgate University or loved ones back in your hometown. In any case, what could be better than a trip down the hill to festive Hamilton to have a shopping spree, all the while supporting local businesses in the area? The items here are in no way a complete list of the amazing gifts that await you in town, but perhaps they can inspire you to go and explore for yourself. From Colgate gear for any Raiders fan to plants for all students suffering from a lack of sunlight, the vast plethora of options in town make it possible to purchase a gift for anyone in your life, no matter how picky! Don’t be afraid to brave the cold weather to go find out yourself. 

Colgate Gear and Goodies Galore:

Colgate-themed clothing items could never disappoint anyone. At the Colgate Bookstore, you can never fail with spiritwear. Options include a very popular Carhartt sweatshirt or maroon baseball cap displaying the newly implemented “speed limit 13” signs that have gone up around campus, a fun twist on your typical Colgate gear. Of course, that’s not all. The Bookstore also has Colgate blankets to curl up with this winter, Colgate water bottles to keep any Raider hydrated and so much more.

Hugs and Holiday Mugs:

While I personally love Hamilton Whole Foods for their fantastic buffalo tempeh wrap, they also have amazing gifts, as well. When stopping in for a bite, pick up a present for someone you love! Other than friends and family at home, the options at Hamilton Whole Foods can be a gift of gratitude to anyone who’s helped you through this semester at Colgate, be it a professor, an advisor or a staff member. A great way to spice up a mug as a present is to fill it with other goodies, such as candies or even tissue paper. If that’s not your jam, Hamilton Whole Foods also offers a selection of fair trade and organic coffees that would compliment these mugs perfectly.

Pillows, Joy and Love:

SWANK by Design never fails to have a fantastic collection of festive goods for the home. These pillows are not only comfy, but positive. The endearing message is sure to make any receiver feel exactly that way: loved.

Candles, Clothes and Cozy Goods:

Find your inner gift giver at Magnolia Grace! The variety of options at the nearby store is sure to inspire anyone looking to show their appreciation for those in their lives. If you’re looking for something to keep your loved ones warm, the comfortable and chic shackets at Magnolia Grace are sure to please. If it’s a smaller present that’s on your shopping list, the cute and aromatic candles would make any receiver happy. 

A Pear Tree, Minus the Partridge:

While perhaps there are no pear trees, The House Plant Co. has a large selection of house plants ranging from easy to care for to specialty. Their potted greenery can work for anyone you are shopping for, even those in a dim-lighted dorm room — THPC has a section of low light plants. Don’t worry about travel: if you’re flying home, small plants are allowed to fly domestically — you can carry them right on the airplane! Driving? Just make sure you and your plant wear a seatbelt. 

Figgy Pudding Alternatives:

If figgy pudding, a traditional English dessert made famous in the carol “We Wish You a Merry Christmas,” isn’t to your taste, then Maxwells Chocolates and Ice Cream is the perfect place to find a holiday treat. From chocolate to candy to milkshakes, Maxwells has a delicious gift for everyone.