It’s a Date: Upstate NY’s Diverse Date Night Destinations

Whether it’s with a significant other or just a friend, dates are a great way to strengthen interpersonal bonds and spend quality time with another person. The selection of date spots in and around Hamilton may seem few and far between, but there is actually a variety of date options, from casual lunch spots to more upscale dinner restaurants.

Gilligan’s Island

If you’re looking for a more casual and lowkey spot that is not too far away from Colgate University, Gilligan’s Island is the place for you. Gilligan’s is in Sherburne, N.Y., which is about a 15-minute drive from campus. The interior of Gilligan’s is retro themed, with vintage-looking posters on the walls and booth seating. There are many tables, so you don’t have to worry about having to wait to sit down.

“Gilligan’s is a perfect place for a date because of its unique vibe,” senior Lauren Miller said. “It’s casual and cheap, but quaint and has good food. You can go there for dinner and ice cream or just ice cream. You order from a counter so you know it won’t take that long.”

Gilligan’s has an extremely large menu, which offers a variety of ice cream flavors, sandwiches, salads, soups, several different kinds of french fries and more, so it’s a perfect spot if you and your date are in the mood for something different to eat.

Friends and Pho

Sophomore Jessie Han shared that Friends and Pho right in downtown Hamilton is one of her favorite date spots to go to with her boyfriend, sophomore Raphael Sule.

“We like to sit by the big windows and look at the town lights at night because it’s pretty,” Han said. “It’s always nice to go on a colder day and have warm soup together.”

Friends and Pho has various types of Pho on the menu, as well as other menu items such as egg rolls, spring rolls and Vietnamese iced coffee. The family-owned restaurant is a Village of Hamilton staple and is perfect to enjoy on a snowy, winter day. Friends and Pho also has a popular to-go option, so customers can enjoy their Pho from the comfort of their home.

The Brewster Inn

Alternatively, if you’re looking for a more upscale dinner date spot, The Brewster Inn is a great pick. The Brewster Inn is a bed and breakfast located in Cazenovia, N.Y., which is about 30 minutes from campus. The Brewster Inn features a large menu with an emphasis on seafood, and there’s truly something for everyone. The restaurant has a cozy old-school feel with white tablecloths on every table.

“Its the perfect place to sit out by the lake and enjoy a beautiful sunset while eating great food. It’s also a great spot to bring out of town guests visiting Colgate,” senior Max Rubinstein said.

The Inn also offers a Valentines Day special menu with a candle lit dinner. Some specials include a spicy lobster pasta, cider-glazed salmon and grilled fillet mignon. With a historic charm and lakeside views, the Brewster Inn offers a unparalleled backdrop for a romantic Valentines Day celebration.

Martha’s on Madison

For those who are 21 and over, Martha’s on Madison (MOMs) is a great place to grab a drink with your date. MOMs is in Hamilton, N.Y., and has a “classic and curated” selection of cocktails as well as some small bites like a cheese and meat board, sourdough and focaccia with dip and check out the different pie flavors each week. At MOMs, you can either sit at the bar or on one of the several couches. 

“It has a very relaxed ambiance and you can hear the person you’re talking to. It’s a pretty intimate setting so I think it would be good for a date,” senior Mary Huntley said. 

MOMs also has several games and activities available to play, which is perfect for a date if you find yourselves running out of conversation topics.

Seven Oaks Clubhouse

Another great date spot right in Hamilton is the Seven Oaks Clubhouse. The Clubhouse has a very large menu and a friendly feel. Senior Josie Ward described that the clubhouse has recently been her and her boyfriend’s favorite date spot.

“We’ve been loving casual dinners out on Friday night to relax after a long week,” Ward said. “We see friends coming in and out, enjoy watching different sports games and we’ve made friends with a lot of the awesome staff.”

The recently renovated Clubhouse offers a classic selection of seasonal dishes and stunning views overlooking the Seven Oaks Golf Course. After an enjoyable round of golf, the Seven Oaks Clubhouse Restaurant is the perfect spot to enjoy a delicious meal.

Additional Date Options

Food is not the only way to someone’s heart; there are a variety of date options that don’t involve eating, including going on a long walk through the streets of Hamilton, having a picnic on the Field of Dreams or visiting a local shop.

Senior Sara Wilson explained that a market called The Shops at Johnny Appleseed in Erieville, N.Y., would be a great place for a date.

“It’s the best hidden gem for a date,” Wilson said. “It’s a huge thrift store warehouse with everything you could imagine and more. Every room is so beautifully curated and full of surprises.”

Whether it’s grabbing burgers and fries at Gilligan’s Island, eating spicy lobster pasta at The Brewster Inn or walking around downtown Hamilton, there is a date activity in the area for everyone.