Campus Cuisine: Finding Food Favorites at Colgate

Printed with permission of Elizabeth Velazquez, Gillian Lustenberger

Many college students often struggle with finding balance in their lives. Between academic stressors and social life, students have a lot going on. Students must work to navigate their daily activities while also navigating their way through the various culinary options on campus as well as in Hamilton, N.Y. Oftentimes it takes an adjustment to develop a routine that works for each individual and their specific needs.

Finding a healthy relationship with food in college can be challenging, especially in the beginning when students are learning how to live in a new environment with more independence. The transition from home-cooked dinners to dining hall gatherings with friends can be both exciting and challenging. Gaining responsibility for your own schedule and having to carve out time for meals can seem daunting at first. 

First-year Gillian Lustenberger acknowledged that it can be difficult to adapt to different food options in college while juggling academics, but felt fortunate to share that was not the case in her own personal experience.

For me, college was not a huge adjustment in terms of food,” Lustenberger said. “I know a lot of people struggle balancing what they eat with access to so much food, but I have always had treats and things at home.”

Lustenberger emphasized that her habits for staying hydrated include drinking water and lots of tea. She also loves having variety in what she eats.

I like eating what makes me feel good and energized,” Lustenberger said. “I keep coffee and an occasional orange or banana in my fridge, along with snacks and treats that my mom sends me.”

Senior Elizabeth Velazquez discussed her experience of eating food cooked by her sorority house’s chef in her place of residence at 84 Broad Street (Delta Delta Delta). The residents have made-to-order breakfasts and lunches as well as a buffet-style dinner. The chef tends to cook a protein, like chicken, with veggies and pasta. As another option, Velazquez acknowledged that an on-campus meal plan also has its perks.

“It’s definitely convenient, although pricey, to be able to have an unlimited meal plan. It made grabbing food so much easier, especially in between classes,” Velazquez said.

After almost four years at Colgate, Velazquez has lots of experience with the dining halls on campus and has several culinary spots on campus that she especially enjoys. She shared that her favorite food spot up the hill is the Chobani at Hieber Café, and her go-to order is a lemonade, chicken pesto sandwich and banana bread muffin on the side.

Lustenberger has yet to decide on a favorite on-campus meal. 

“I don’t have a favorite food spot up the hill. It just depends on the day and what I’m in the mood for,” Lustenberger said. 

Lustenberger shared that she has fun going to Frank Dining Hall with her friends, but also enjoys the grain bowls at the O’Connor Campus Center (the Coop) when she’s craving something fresh and healthy. In the Village of Hamilton, Lustenberger enjoys going to Flour and Salt Café. Velazquez shared that she enjoys going to Friends and Pho and the Hamilton Eatery.

Life as a senior and a first-year student in college can be very different in terms of finding favorite foods and navigating the dining halls, but both Velazquez and Lustenberger expressed that finding food they enjoy both up the hill and off-campus has been important in maintaining a positive college experience.