Book Review: “Same Time Next Summer”

Book Review: Same Time Next Summer
AP Photo/Richard Drew

As the transition from reading for leisure to reading for classes approaches, I recall a book I read shortly after moving into my new dormitory at Colgate University. Gifted by my mom, the novel, “Same Time Next Summer,” written by Annabel Monaghan (an author from my hometown: Rye, New York), provided me with a slice of home and comfort during my re-acclimation to college life. Grappling with heartbreak, the difficulty of growing up, inadequate romantic partners and career doubts, this “beach read” offers a relatable story for vast audiences, encouraging the reader not to settle for an unfulfilling life.

Monaghan writes this novel through both a past and present lens. In her switching narration between her past summers growing up on Fire Island as a teenager and the current life she built for herself living with her fiancé in New York City, the reader fully grasps the myriad of ways in which her past experiences and relationships at the beach shape her current adult world perspective. Monaghan explores this proposition of maturity through the progression of her relationship with her next-door neighbor as a teenager and how she deals presently with the worst heartbreak of her life.

Now entering her thirties, Sam has the life many people would envy — she’s engaged to a doctor, living in a lovely apartment and works in Human Resources in New York City. However, her picture-perfect life begins to unravel when she returns to her beloved summer home to tour wedding venues and realizes that many wounds from her adolescent relationships remain unhealed. Running into her next-door neighbor and first love for the first time in fourteen years makes her begin to doubt her love for her future husband, her career path and what she truly considers home.

Soon enough, Sam realizes that she’s living to please those around her, but by doing this, she’s doing herself a disservice and settling for a life that sounds good on paper but feels wrong in real life. After realizing this, Sam begins to live by following her heart instead of her head and immediately begins to feel contentment that she hasn’t felt since her teenage years. 

All in all, I enjoyed “Same Time Next Summer” due to its cheery nature. The plot moves along quickly and the predictable nature of the ending makes it a lighter read, perfect for a lazy day at the beach or pool. However, if you’re looking for a book with more depth, this book probably isn’t for you. Monaghan’s message is very surface-level and easily understandable. Most readers can likely predict the ending after reading the first few chapters. 

If you’re searching for a book that reads quickly with a plot any hopeless romantic would love, “Same Time Next Summer” is perfect for you. Other books that you might enjoy are “Beach Read” by Emily Henry and “Every Summer After” by Carley Fortune. All three books primarily occur in coastal beach towns, centered around a complicated love story with a predictable, happy ending. 

Overall, I would probably rate this book 3.5 out of 5 stars — I personally enjoyed Monaghan’s first book, “Nora Goes Off Script,” more than “Same Time Next Summer” because, although both are easygoing reads, the plot of “Nora Goes Off Script” felt more developed and complicated. That being said, “Same Time Next Summer” definitely fulfilled its purpose of providing me with lighthearted entertainment and enjoyment.